i thought the mac community was nicer

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wmmk, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

some people at this thread are being pretty mean.

i thought the mac community was nice! has anyone else had experiences with the people in this thread making insulting posts before?

geez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

We're not trying to be mean (at least, not most of us). We're just pointing out the fact that your goal of writing a commercially marketable operating system, with your level of coding experience (not very much) is very farfetched. Some very good programmers have given you advice, which you then ignored.

This thread serves no real value, will probably lead nowhere good, and has been reported.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Tough love, my friend. Tough love. While your quest is noble, your odds of success are minimal if you stick to your current path.

Besides, too much international politicking gets in the way of saving starving kids in Africa.

Speaking of which, go read the political forums if you want "nasty" posts.

Edit: Either you're quite the joker, or someone has your login password...

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

This is positively one of the nicest communities I've ever happened to stumble across.

:)

5. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

so i am doing something wrong by asking for help with an operating system that i'd like to make?

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well the rule of thumb is start small then climb up from there.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not if you're willing to pay. :)

8. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

You're not doing anything wrong asking for help. You're going about taking the advice and criticism all wrong. Grow up.

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Anytime a mod comes in and gives you the rolled eyes ( :rolleyes: ) then you're probably wasting your time beating on this horse.

My advice? Quit while you're behind.

(And yes, you're correct; most Mac users I've met aren't very nice.)

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

We can be a moody bunch. Saurian -- at times downright froggish.

[​IMG]

11. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

Which mod gave me the rolled eyes, and where? A link would be great.

As a matter of fact, most mac useers really are quite nice in person.
    If a mod could wasteland both these treads, as I have gotten no help with the operating system at all, that'd be great!

12. milo macrumors 604

Many mac users are nice. But if you show off a silly idea, we're going to call it silly.

We're not stupid.

13. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I'll make an operating system for you. It says "hello world" every time you press return, each on a new line. It's going to change the world.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

15. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Here.

[Edit] Ack! Beaten by MERE seconds! :D

16. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Most people on here are very nice. It is a very pleasant forum. But, although I admire your aspirations, wanting to do enough coding to make a whole operating with your experience is, excuse me, silly. You have to start small, and an operating system is probably the most complex thing you can code. And sell it commercially... and have anyone buy it and have it really .... how unlikely is that?? :rolleyes:
    We're not trying to be mean, just rational.

17. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

We're not mean, just rational.

Quite now. Find another forum to help, then again, your team of 35 should do fine on its own. :rolleyes:

18. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I don't think people here (well 1 I do) but most people here aren't mean natured.

I have asked some stupid questions here and I have got pretty quick witted responses that can be taken wrongly. I think you need to take it with a grain of salt. People all around the world shouldn't be able to effect your emotions through the internet.

Besides, there are like 70,000 members on this board with about 200 or so regulars that post on everything. I'd say if one doesn't like your idea, it shouldn't matter too much.

The world will continue to revolve, and the sun is going to rise tomorrow ;)

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

C-O-M-M-U-N-I-T-Y

Cheers :)

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Just because we bought the same computer doesn't mean we have to be nice to you ;)

jon

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Dem, you probably weren't around MacRumors then, but every 4 - 6 months a relatively new member (and amost always, a relatively young member) says
    they have an idea for a (combo desktop publishing/web production/blog server, visual click and drag meta-auto-compiler, online Mac accessory sales business, or the next Google) and while they don't have a lot of (programming, marketing, management) experience themselves, their idea (which they can't divulge the particulars of) is so great that if some members will just give them (10 minutes, 10 hours, 10 weeks, 10 months) of expert tutorial, they are sure that they can create something that will make everybody (rich, famous, better looking, more regular). Of course, there's the little matter of they have no (money to pay up front, business plan, experience, legal ability to sign a contract because they are a minor).

Then when members point out the flaws in the approach, they get offended, then they get mocked by some for being offended, then they get mad at being mocked, et cetera..

It happens like clockwork -- so be consoled at least that you're not the first and certainly won't be the last to experience the wet mackerel reality slap efffect from the MacRumors faithful.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Transliteration: Kindly suck it up, and deal with it.
    My apologies to the eloquence, RAM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.