I tried Internet Explorer 7 PC today-Garbage !

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, May 22, 2006.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

If you have access to a PC stay away! If you don't have access to a PC I praise you.

MS have clearly just "tried" to copy Firefox, but they had no idea on how to do it.

IE 7 belongs in one place: Your Recycle Bin!

Version Beta 2

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

hogwash I tell ya.....

I TRIED, but got the following info after it failed to load. Life is too short for this load of crap:
    --------------------------------------------
    Error message when you try to install Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2: "Internet Explorer could not be installed"
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 917925
    Last Review : May 19, 2006
    Revision : 2.2
    Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    256986 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/) Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
    On This Page
    SYMPTOMSSYMPTOMS
    CAUSECAUSE
    WORKAROUNDWORKAROUND
    Method 1Method 1
    Method 2Method 2
    Method 3Method 3
    STATUSSTATUS
    MORE INFORMATIONMORE INFORMATION
    SYMPTOMS
    When you try to install Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, the installation wizard finishes, but the last screen displays the following error message:
    Internet Explorer 7 could not be installed. You must restart your system to confirm that any changes to your system are undone.

After restarting, follow the "Internet Explorer Troubleshooting" shortcut on your desktop to get more information.
    Back to the top Back to the top
    CAUSE
    This issue may occur when permissions for one or more registry subkeys on the computer are restricted in a way that prevents the update of those registry subkeys. A failure to update a registry key may cause the Setup program to fail.
    WORKAROUND
    Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

The steps outlined in this article involve changing permissions on registry keys to allow installation of Internet Explorer 7. Although modifying the permissions is required to install Internet Explorer 7, in some cases these permissions could be configured for a specific reason. Make sure you understand if any such reasons exist and the potential impact of modifying registry permissions before making them. In addition, you can modify registry permissions to allow installation of Internet Explorer 7 and change them back to their original configuration after setup is complete.
    Method 1
    1. Verify that there is a failure to update the registry. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Download the Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Registry Diagnostic Tool from the following Microsoft Web site:
    DownloadDownload the IE7Registry.exe package now. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-F4C3-44A6-8D01-5972854C0845&displaylang=en)
    Note If you choose not to download the tool, use Method 2.
    b. Start the tool by double-clicking it's icon, and then clicking Check in the dialog box that appears.
    c. If the tool reports that errors are found, click Yes to view the log file. Log entries appear similar to the following:

ACL too tight: Registry_key

NoteRegistry_Key is the specific registry subkey that has incorrect permissions.
    d. If the tool reports that no problems are found, this article does not apply to you.
    2. Reset the registry permissions for the registry subkey that has the incorrect permissions. To update the permissions of the registry subkey, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    b. Locate and then right-click each registry subkey that you noted in step 1c, and then click Permissions.
    c. Under Group or user names, click Administrators.
    d. Under Permissions for Administrators, make sure that the Allow check box is selected for the following entries:
    • Full Control
    • Read
    e. Click Apply, and then click OK.
    f. On the File menu, click Exit.
    Method 2
    1. Verify that there is a failure to update the registry. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\ie7beta2.log, and then click OK to open the Ie7beta2.log file.

Note By default, the Ie7beta2.log file is located in the C:\Windows folder.
    b. On the Edit menu, click Find.
    c. In the Find what box, type DoRegistryUpdates failed, and then click Find Next. If you locate a "DoRegistryUpdates failed" error message, a problem exists that is preventing the update of the registry. The error message will resemble the following example:
    time_stamp: DoInstallation:DoRegistryUpdates failed. time_stamp: Access is denied. time_stamp: Internet Explorer 7 installation did not complete. Select ‘OK’ to undo changes that have been made..
    d. If you do not locate a "DoRegistryUpdates failed" error message, use Method 3 to solve this problem.
    2. If a registry permission failure has occurred, locate the registry subkey that requires different permissions. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\updspapi.log, and then click OK to open the Updspapi.log file.

Note By default, the Updspapi.log file is located in the C:\Windows folder.
    b. Press CTRL+END to move to the end of the Updspapi.log file.
    c. On the Edit menu, click Find.
    d. In the Find what box, type Error 5: Access is denied.
    e. Under Direction, click Up, and then click Find Next.

The entry in the Setupapi.log file will resemble the following example:
    #E008 Setting registry value Registry_Key #E033 Error 5: Access is denied.
    Note Registry_Key indicates the specific registry subkey that has incorrect permissions.
    3. Reset the registry permissions for the registry subkey that has the incorrect permissions. To update the permissions of the registry subkey, follow these steps:
    b. Locate and then right-click the registry subkey that you noted in step 2e, and then click Permissions.

Note The Updspapi.log file contains the following abbreviations:
    • HKCR = HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    • HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    • HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    d. Under Permissions for Administrators, make sure that the Allow check box is selected for the following entries:
    • Full Control
    • Read
    Method 3
    Use this method if you did not find a "DoRegistryUpdates failed" error message in step 1c of Method 2.
    1. Verify that there is a failure to update the registry. To do this, follow these steps,
    a. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\ie7beta2.log, and then click OK to open the Ie7beta2.log file.

Note By default, the Ie7beta2.log file is located in the C:\Windows folder.
    b. On the Edit menu, click Find.
    c. In the Find what box, type ArchiveRegistrySettings failed, and then click Find Next.
    d. If you locate an "ArchiveRegistrySettings failed" error message, a problem exists that is preventing the backup of the registry. The error message will be similar to the following example:
    time_stamp: DoInstallation:ArchiveRegistrySettings failed. time_stamp: DeRegistering the Uninstall Program -> ie7beta2, 2 time_stamp: Internet Explorer 7 Setup canceled
    2. If a registry permissions failure has occurred, locate the registry subkey that requires different permissions. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Restart the computer.
    b. Download the Registry Monitor utility (Regmon.exe). To do this, visit the following Sysinternals Web site:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/regmon.html (http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/regmon.html)
    c. Extract the contents of the zipped file to a folder on the desktop, start the Registry Monitor utility, and then start Internet Explorer 7 Setup.
    d. Press CTRL+E to stop capturing events in the Registry Monitor utility.
    e. On the Options menu, click Filter/Highlight, and then clear the contents of the Include box.
    f. In the Include box, type update.exe; iesetup.exe, and then click OK.
    g. Press CTRL+X to clear the log, and then press CTRL+E to start capturing events again.
    h. Continue Internet Explorer 7 Setup.
    i. When Setup fails, click the Registry Monitor window, and then press CTRL+E to stop capturing events.
    j. Press CTRL+F, type access denied, and then click OK to find the "access denied" entry.
    k. Note the registry path on the "access denied" line.
    3. Reset the registry permissions for the registry subkey that has the incorrect permissions. To update the permissions for the registry subkey, follow these steps:
    b. Locate and then right-click the registry subkey that you noted in step 2k, and then click Permissions.
    • Full Control
    • Read
    STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
    MORE INFORMATION
    The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0
    Keywords:
    kbtshoot kbprb KB917925

3. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I made sure I restarted after the failure so I wouldn't screw the whole machine up... I hear you CAN'T go back to 6 afterwards.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I don't know what y'all are talking about... I've been using it on my main PC for a few months now, and it's great... in fact, it's better than Safari in some respects (e.g., it has an option to restore your last tab group, and it has an option to view all of your tabs in a thumbnail style).

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's actaully a closer rip-off to Omniweb 5.0. While Omniweb 4.5 was the God of all browsers, when they went to 5 it went to hell. The whole icons for tabs thing started with Omniweb. Now MS tries to use it in IE. LAAAAAAAAAME. Another thing they couldn't come up with by themselves.

7. Timepass macrumors 65816

that is false. from the page you down load it from it gives very clear direction on how to uninstall it. I ran it for a while and som of the beta glitchs bother me so I just removed it. All it took was going to add/remove programs and just uninstall IE 7.0 and I was done. I had Ie 6.0 back up and running with having to reinstgall it. IE 7.0 does not remove it. It replace it until you remove it.

As for using it it look really nice. As for coping I just dont really see it. Tabs broswing was added something that was needed since all the other major browser already have it. Built in search bar oh big woop about time again since again all major other browser have it and beside add in already offered that. Pop up blocker was already in IE 6. I just dont see the coping everyone else does. Just features that are long over due that all the other major players have. The lay out is still a lot like IE6