I truly dislike (hate) UPS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A vendor sent out on 7/13 (electronically) at 3:51PM (PDT). The next communication on the UPS website was, "THE PACKAGE WAS LEFT IN A UPS FACILITY CAUSING THIS DELAY;DELIVERY RESCHEDULED" on 7/13 at 9:22PM PDT. The only acknowledgment from UPS was at 5:23PM today (7/14) at 5:23PM! :eek:

When I called them tonight asking that they deliver on Saturday - since it was a business address - I was told no way that would happen. I was told that I should ask my shipper to request a refund.

I knew in my hearts of hearts, that the shipper only using UPS was a problem. The person I spoke to at UPS said that there was nothing they could do to correct their mistake. Other than my shipper to request a refund.

Well there is something I can do. That is to ask every MR member to NOT use UPS. Use FEDEX or USPS instead. I never have been treated so badly as I felt as I was from UPS.

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

In all honesty ive had issues with all the major shippers. They all suck but its a necessary evil if you are buying anything online or from a far away vendor. UPS lost a amazon package 2 times, on the 3rd try Amazon sent the item next day.. they said they tried to delieve 3 times which i really dont think they did and i ended up having to drive 30 minutes to the UPS facility and waited 1 hour to get the package...

Ed

3. Leraste macrumors regular

Leraste

Whenever I can, I opt for FedEx. UPS always shows up at my house around 7 p.m. I can't bear waiting all day for a package! :eek:

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

we use ups all the time (because my parents are too lazy to drive to the fedex store, an extra 10 minutes :p), and because they're often cheaper. especially from newegg--ups shipping is about half the price of comparable fedex shipping :eek:
    ive never noticed any horrible delays, or losses, but they seem to bang the boxes up a lot more than fedex.

6. alex131992 macrumors newbie

I was waiting for my cellphone, from UPS, but they did not come, so my dad went over and picked it up.....it was my graduation present, cus im going to grade 9..........my mom told me her BF used to work for UPS about 20 yrs go, and now he works for canada post, he has been working there for about 16 yrs now.

7. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    UPS screwed our nonprofit hard on a $1000+ equipment installation. They kept delivering it to the wrong address, even though the correct address was on the package and in their records. After two failed deliveries, it was a Friday PM and of course, unlike FedEx, there's NO-ONE around at UPS on the weekend. I had flown out on a Thursday to do the installation (UPS failure one) on that Friday (UPS failure two), take the weekend off (instead I spent most of it on the phone trying to track down someone at UPS), confirm the installation on Monday (still no delivery from UPS), and be back in Oakland for a convening with out of town participants on Tuesday. UPS delivered the equipment at 5pm on Monday - I had three hours to do the entire installation before leaving for my flight.

Never use UPS for anything you actually need on time and delivered competently.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You are going to find problems with all major carriers. You just have to expect that.

When I ordered my Macbook, iPod, and .Mac all in one order (from Apple's telephone store), 3 different carriers were used; FedEx Express, UPS, and FedEx Ground.

MacBook (Fedex Express): shipped from Shanghai, China. Arrived 5 days after the order was placed.

iPod (UPS): shipped from LA, California. Arrived 6 days after order.

.Mac (FedEx Ground): shipped from the city I live in! Arrived last.

9. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Never had an issue with FEDEX in a similar situation. "Lost" in their facility, with no desire to at least to go for a Saturday delivery? It was their screw up. So now my shipper will have to spend time for the UPS f-up. Great way of doing business.

I hope that UPS sees this. For they will be the last choice in shipping for me. I will rather deal with the USPS, at least in my dealings they were more honest.

10. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I guess I'm lucky, never a problem with UPS, FEDEX or USPS. :)

Edit: Add DHL to that list, but I've only used them a few times. Last time they did my iBook.

11. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am so ticked off right now, that I would rather spend time or money shipping via USPS than UPS.

it took them almost 20+ hours to "find" my package? Give me a break! Evidently it is cheaper to refund my Next Day Air, than to try to make good on their mistake.

So happy that I truly did not need it for Saturday morning.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

You're really trying to get your post count up quickly, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm surprised they wouldn't deliver it on saturday. I had a 3 day air package due in on a friday, it showed up saturday covered in "Complimentary Saturday Delivery" stickers. Of course, if you had it shipped ground, don't be surprised, Nobody give a damn about their ground shipments.

13. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Seems to be the way a lot of business is conducted, hope it works out and pay when it doesn't.

Glad their mistake didn't take a bigger bite out of you.

14. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

UPS can go to hell. When I bought my 1GB stick from DataMem, I left the door open for the delivery. As I heard the UPS truck park, I walked to my door. As I walked to the door the delivery A$$h0le moaned "Hello?" while still 8ft away from my door step, threw the package on my porch, then walked away. Practically right in front of me :mad:

Also, when I bought my $250 bluetooth pen tablet, they just left it on my porch _without_ knocking, and I was supposed to sign the package off. I was really tempted to call in and say "Where's my package" since no signature proof was taken.

15. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Right you are. Poor way to do business IMO.

Just bummed out on my plans for the weekend.

16. alex131992 macrumors newbie

17. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I use couriers weekly, and UPS are by FAR the worst.

Apple sent me a replacement Mighty Mouse - and for some reason, UPS felt the packaging label on it wasn't suffice, so they covere it with their own printed label, labelling my address as 'Josh Thomas. SY24 5NS'.

No house or street name, and no phone number.

18 days later, it STILL hadn't been delivered. Their system said it had. Literally, hours on the phone everyday.

I rang them one day, and went M-A-D! I mean, crazy! Then they told me it was passed onto a LOCAL courier, and by local, 50miles away - by mistake.

I rang this local courier, who had contacted POLICE to try and track my address, because UPS had only given them a Name and Postcode.

In the end the item turned up, and after I peeled off the top UPS-branded label, found an Apple-printed label below with MY correct address.

Everytime I order from Apple now, I always make sure its not Unbelieveably Pathetic Service (UPS) that delivers.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

I think both have an equally fair chance of effing up, but I have had far fewer issues with Fed Ex, aside form a 6 a.m. delivery once. That said, I have a Fed Ex account, not a UPS.

I find Fed Ex's 3-day "Saver" is a good product.

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    That bug still hasn't been fixed then. It's something to do with the auto label generation and the first line of the address doesn't always make it over. It happens with TNT UK too - I remember my sister getting a call from a driver who had the name of the housing development she lived in but not the number of her house.

20. auxplage macrumors 6502

My dad works for UPS.

I think that it is all random.

We have had the USPS, FedEX, and UPS lose packages of ours.

That being said, I am waiting for my MacBook Pro that I ordered on Saturday. FedEX is transporting it.

I did the standard shipping option. How long should I have to wait if it is shipping from Sacramento, CA (The tracking information is NEVER updated)?

Also, the iPod Nano that I decided to get along with it shipped from even farther away, by FedEX, and it arrived today. Meanwhile, the MacBook Pro is still not here. :(

21. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Yeah, i've always disliked UPS. They've left stuff out in the rain when it needed to be signed for, and they've lost my stuff before as well. FedEx is terrible in my mind as well, though, lots of bad times there.

The only way I ship now is USPS. Never had a problem with the postal service, especially since everything I ship with delivery confirmation. It may not be as sexy, but USPS gets it done, dammit!