i tunes changed my music files

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ajlarue, Oct 14, 2004.

1. ajlarue macrumors newbie

hi, i was trying to change the destination of my i tunes music folder to the folder i keep all my mp3's in. in the process i tunes has changed all my mp3's into folders and sub folders and i cannot for the life of me switch it back to how they were originally organized. can anyone offer any help on how to fix this? thanks.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You probably won't be able to get it back the way you had it. In the future, uncheck the "Keep iTunes music folder organized" box. Of course, one has to wonder why you'd rather do it by hand... ;)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well in my settings, I don't allow iTunes to organize my song files for me because they're wrong so often. If they're not wrong, then it can't find the album info.

If you listen to Top 40 hits, then it's not a problem, I guess.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I let it, mostly because: I'm lazy, and it does a better job than I ever could.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

The point of iTunes is that you don't have to worry about organizing the files anymore. You can play, modify, burn, and iPod them right from iTunes... and if you're into file sharing, you can have the program just share everything inside your iTunes folder, it'll sort it out automatically. So unless you need to grab the actual files, often, it seems like this would be a good solution for people.

Not sure what you meant about it being wrong-- if it grabs the wrong info from the CDDB, just change it yourself. Even if the artist or album name is misspelled, iTunes will find the file, as you should be able to do.

paul