I tunes/I photo

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Christina99, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Christina99 macrumors newbie

My I Tunes was playing and my I Photo was open when suddenly the electricity fell out.
    Next time I start up:
    Everything erased from I tunes(damaged), and I Photo won't start up anymore.
    I've send a rapport to Apple.
    Luckily I have my pics and music stored on my hard drive,but it isn't funny;
    Can someone tell me how to prevent this and how to get I Photo running again?
    Thanks

2. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

Not sure the report to Apple will do much good in the area of ensuring a constant supply of power from your local power distributor but I'd start off by using the install/OS disks to check the hard drive and attempt a repair. Failing that, make sure you have backups of your music and photos (you said you still have them on your hard drive?) and try to reinstall then individual apps. If that gives no joy, you may need to wipe and start from scratch.

I'm hoping you have a good backup plan if you do need to take it that far, but since you say you've got backups/copies of at least your music and photos, it bodes well for you having it together enough to have said good backups...;)

3. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Well, Apple may not be able to help keep the power on but you can invest in a UPS back up battery device. It will give you 15 to 20 minutes to turn off your computer when the power goes out.

Mine kept my desktop PC alive over the weekend at work in sleep mode when the grid went black.

4. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Is this the common reaction when the power goes out? The harddrive is erased, massive problems, etc? Or is that a rarity.

5. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I've never lost everything on a hard drive. Maybe the document that was open back to the last save.

I use laptops at home so that's not really an issue any more and everything at work is on a UPS.

The first time I experienced a power outage while working on a UPS was so weird. I was sitting in the studio with the overhead lights on working on my G4 Tower with a 17"CRT. The power didn't even blink. Everything went black except the CRT. It lite up the whole studio with a strange glow.

6. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

The fact that those apps were open and in use as stated by the original poster leads me to believe that - hopefully, only - those apps got hosed. Sudden loss of power can do all sorts of bad things, especially if the drive/computer is in the middle of doing something when it happens.

I've had both experiences. Power loss and no problem and power loss with major problems. It only took once for the "major problem" variety to happen to me before investing in battery backup.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I hate it when the electricity falls out :D

Seriously though I have just bought a UPS for £60 to give me enough power to shut stuff down in the event of power failure.

We have a tumble dryer that shorts the entire house when you turn it on but not all the time. I got so sick of turning off my machine so we could turn on the dryer then fire up the Mac again only for the dryer to finish half an hour later and me having to do the same again. Now I can work happily (in the dark) for 10 minutes without having to worry about shutting down or power going off.