I use Panther. Is Tiger faster?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jezza, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezza macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been enjoying Panther for quite a while and find it suits my working habits admirably. So much so I don't feel there's any need to upgrade to Tiger.

Let me explain.

I'm not into widgets or Desk Accessories. So, as far as I'm concerned, I don't need Dashboard.

I can Find stuff on my drive pretty quick with the Command+F keys at the Finder level, so I've got no need for Spotlight.

The only reason I'd consider upgrading to Tiger - and I do mean the only reason - would be if Tiger offerred me the promise of a significant boost in speed performance.

I own a 15" Pbook circa 2002 with 1GB of Ram. Things are zipping along quite happily under Panther. Not so the resource hogging nasty Adobe Creative Suite. Even Fireworks MX 2004 slows down a little too. When I uninstalled Photoshop CS and switched back to Photoshop 7, performance was back to sprightly and joyful again. Thus, I don't relish being dissapointed again, this time with Tiger. Removing the hype from Tigers 200 or so extra features, I don't see that Steve can offer me much this time round.

Can any of you out there really say that Tiger is sooo much faster than Panther?

Thanks for your time,

Jezza

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I too thought this until I actually started using Spotlight. Much quicker and easier to find anything. Remember it searches more than just files. It will change your habits.

IMO, Tiger was significantly faster on my mini with exception of when I first access Dashboard - since this seems to be when it makes all its web requests. Safari 2 is noticeable faster too.

Just my $.02

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The only time I'd say an older Mac might feel slower under Tiger is if it has limited RAM. With a GB it should be fine. I have a 1.25 G4 Powerbook with 1.25GB of RAM and Tiger did speed things up - the GUI sped up, Safari got faster and I find Dashboard/Automator a lot more useful than I thought I would.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

on my 15"PB 1,5Ghz, 1.25GB everything feels more snappy. safari runs faster. but the applications run just as fast as before. photoshop does it's thing as slow as before, iphoto is as slow as before. only startup, shutdown, finderactions run faster.

i'm happy to be on tiger. i've come to like many of the unnecessary features, although i don't really need them. if you can shell out the $129 it's good fun. if you are short on cash it's not really worth it.

5. cube macrumors G4

Tiger feels more sluggish than Jaguar and I have free memory.

6. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

my dad put tiger on his ibook and it really slowed it down, but i think it was only because he had 256mb of ram
    it runs fine on my ibook with 512mb of ram, but ive never had panther on it so i cant really tell you if panther is faster or slower

7. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

and there i was thinking 512 was the ABSOLUTE minimum for tiger....

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I was using Panther at my sisters house a couple of days ago and I swear it just feels wrong compared to Tiger, I dunno if 1 is faster than the other but the extra features in Tiger make it well worth upgrading. I found myself pressing command + space to search, no luck. Tiger is fantastic upgrade, although it may be worth waiting until .3 hits.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I noticed a small speed bump when I did a clean install of Tiger on my original G4 iBook. I'm not sure if this was the fact I did a clean install or the fact Tiger is faster but I do know that Tiger certainly starts up quicker FWIW. :)

10. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I'm happy with Tiger it roars. I guess it's somewhat faster the Panther but it's all relative really.

11. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Skip it, then.

I got 1gig of RAM and always run low and beachball. Stupid Spotlight takes up so much RAM, and Dashboard doesn't do much for me, since I have Konfabulator.

12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

No - it is slower. Reason are the background processes e.g. dashboard, spotlight etc.

If you can do your work faster because of those processes is another question - I think so. But the system slows down. This is definitly true. I read some reviews about the new iBooks and they are slower then the previous versions. Reasons was Tiger instead of Panther.

On the other hand you can disable all those processes via Terminal. Then you got basically the same system as before. Not really because you have Core Video and Audio.

13. Jezza thread starter macrumors newbie

At the risk of labelling myself certifiably insane, I'm going to answer my own post in the belief that it will best serve the interest of other Panther-ists who are questionning the move to Tiger.

Run to Tiger.

If you pass GO keep on running and enjoy every moment. The operating system boosts everything about your machine, you'll think you're sitting behind a brand new Mac - or someone else's; My Powerbook G4 15 inch zings with lean, mean, no-wait-killing performance (other than Creative Suite CS1 which I uninstalled) and Spotlight is the oxygen for every moment of my Mac breath.

Dunno what Apple have got in store for us with Leopard, I don't care as I'm still riding the crest of the Tiger wave.

Yeehaaa!

Have a blast.

Just do it. Install Tiger now.

Jezza

14. J Radical macrumors regular

J Radical

This thread was more than a year old! why did you bump it?!

Nobody should be considering an upgrade to Tiger with Leopard so close. Did you actually wait more than a year to jump to Tiger when it's successor is merely a month or two away???

Melt!

15. Jezza thread starter macrumors newbie

Melt! - that's exactly what my Powerbook nearly ended up doing. It took 6 months to fix and when I got it back Tiger was installed.

Wake up Lolz, some folks don't live on the cutting edge and these same folks don't need to give up their favourite utilities just for the next best thing. I still miss several context-menu utils that only run in Panther and they kicked some royal ass when compared with their Tiger counterparts.

This thread is not dead. Panther is not dead. Neither is Classic and OS 9 for that matter - I know a crowd of designers and video guys who still use OS 9, Freehand, Livemotion, and Premiere, and their work is as valid today as it was when these "old" softwares were all the flame.

Chill out Lolz.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think you're about that, except that some machines won't run Tiger.

Anyway, I don't see this thread serving any purpose now since Tiger is about done for most people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.