I waited... now its time to buy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brettsinger, Nov 8, 2006.

1. brettsinger macrumors member

Aug 13, 2006
    Thanks for suggesting I wait for the Macbook Core2's.
    NOW the question is, is the new mid-range model worth springing for?
    I can get ed. pricing, so it's

$1049 MB 1.83GHz
    +$183 AppleCare
    +$79 512MB RAM (Crucial)

$1199 MB 2.0GHz
    +$183 AppleCare
    =$1382 (includes 1GB RAM and now a Superdrive)

I think now the mid-range option is worth the extra $$$ - what do you think? Thanks.
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    The more expensive model is definitely worth the extra $200 (or $150 in your case). Double the RAM, faster processor, DVD burner, bigger hard drive. No question in my book.
  3. VeganBryan macrumors member

Jan 25, 2006
  4. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2005
    I would say the middle choice is the best value.
  5. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    i agree with everyone the middle macbook is the best for the value get the 2ghz white.
  6. Badandy macrumors 68040

Sep 29, 2005
    Don't get Applecare and get the most expensive/highest spec'ed one you can get. You can always buy Apple care AFTER something goes wrong within the first year.
  7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Not to mention the base model comes with TWO 256MB RAM sticks. So you're 512MB stick would only give you 768MB RAM,
  8. brettsinger thread starter macrumors member

Aug 13, 2006
    That's a good point, thanks.

You think so? I figured it was worth the extra $183 for peace of mind.
  9. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2005
    I would definatly buy the Applecare if I were to keep it longer than a year. That being said I usually wait until I've owner the machine 10 months or so to buy it, just incase I decide to upgrade to a different machine. Applecare can be purchased at anytime during your first year so no real reason to pay for it right when you buy the machine, IMO.
  10. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2006
    East Coast, US
    Apple gives no incentive to buy AppleCare right away. Like the other poster said, wait until 10mos or so. If there are problems before then, you're covered under the normal 1 year warranty.

Also, buy AppleCare from eBay. I got AppleCare for my iBook for under $150 shipped. Heck, it's $179 from LA Computer Company (http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/index.cgi?command=dispitem&type=sku&sku=10125)

That said, the $1099 black CD macbook from the Apple refurb store sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
  11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    I agree with this. I think Applecare is important for laptops, but I generally leave that cost until much later.. closer to the end of the one year standard warranty. That gives you a year to save up for it.. and within that year the extended warranty doesn't do you all that much good, anyways, since Apple will fix your computer regardless (about the only thing it does give you is extended phone service, if that's important to ya).

I'd either put that money into upping the specs on my machine or just save it.
  12. dongmin macrumors 68000

Jan 3, 2002
    Hah, you guys are all assuming that he'll remember to do this after 10-11 months!

If you want the peace of mind, you might as well go for it, no? But in my experience (yes a small sample, i know), if you don't have problems early, you should be good for 3-4 years.