Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
so i just got an external harddrive(firewire) and i put all my music on it. i changed the location of the music folder under itunes pref. its all good. and my itunes see's the music,.. no dead tracks. but obviosly, if the hd isnt pluged in ill get a hole bunch of dead tracks.
my prob is that im puting tracks in itunes(drag and drop via itunes library) with out the hd pluged in. they are going to the regular default music folder(a new one*) in itunes on my reg hd. its all good still, but the prob is i can see all my track names for everything i have on both hds. and i dont have acces to most of them cause there in the other hd witch isnt pluged in.
so i wana have 2 different i tunes. one for prossesing and the other for archiving. is that posable?
another reason i wana simplify like this is cause when i add a song, even with the external pluged in, it coppies it to the folder on my orig hd.
i cant deal with complications any more than i have to with all the music and renaming, deleting and what not.

*also it should be noted; i didnt creat an itunes folder in the place of the original when i moved it to the the external. it created its self.

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
ummm... it doesnt seem to work:confused:
i made 2 dif libraries with it and set the prefs to open itunes when i select the lib. and it always opens the same one.
it had actualy onely confused me more trying to figure it out!
ive read the instructions.
in i tunes there is a pref to telll it were your library is. but it onely has one option. i tunes onely opens w/ that. even w/ the software running.
so i dont get it. though i apreciate the advice:) . i hate to come off otherwise:eek:

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
if i understand correctly, you want to have all your songs in ONE library and NOT TWO.

1. go to home:music:itunes:itunes music. copy the "itunes music" folder to the desktop.

2. plug in your external hard drive.

3. open itunes. in preferences:advanced. choose your external hard drive (or the folder in the external hard drive).

4. go to the desktop and drag and drop the folders in "itunes music" to itunes.

5. delete the "itunes music" on the desktop & delete the "itunes music" folder in home:music:itunes.

the external hard drive should always be plugged in when you want to use itunes.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2005
Have you thought of making a playlist named after your computer or something and drag all the music you want to 'process' into it so you know what you can access without the HD plugged in??

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
hmm:rolleyes: , thats a great idea:D . good so when i copy a track to that folder it will save it too my internal hd. and ill be able to see whats avialable through the playlist. i get it.
if i have the external hd pluged in and i drag stuff to the library(not playlist) it sends the actual file to the internal. witch i guess is allright.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2005
This isn't fool-proof though, a playlist is only a representation of the songs. The actual songs will still reside in your library...so I don't know if it will work for your purpose.

Maybe someone else can help you through that?

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
i have 2 simple goals.
1. keep the bulk of my music on my external.
2. listen to music when the x isnt pluged in. and be able to know and select a song and have it play rather than trying to find a needle in a hay stack. witch is what its like when im fishing through 5000+ songs. i onely have and will have about 50-100 song on my internal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.