i want a bluetooth power adaptor

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by abhishekit, Jan 22, 2004.

1. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

yah...i am spoilt..i want a blue tooth poweradaptor..that i can plugin the wall outlet and it charges my ibook...
    :D

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You want to send electricity wireless through the air? I'm assuming you're joking and will leave it at that.

(but if you make one let me know and I'll buy one! :))

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually there are several companies working on this. It would be nice if it was like Star Trek, where you could just walk into a room and have power for everything. It just may be a little while before its practical.

BTW: Remember there is a disclaimer on Bluetooth Devices. Bluetooth does not transmit power, your device will still need a power source. (Saw it on in a Bluetooth Phone)

TEG

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah wireless power!!1 then my powerbook will truly be a wire free computer. imagine the day...

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It's actually possible (though not with Bluetooth). What you need is a special power supply outfitted with what are known as "quantum dots" which are--if I remember correctly--packets of free electrons tuned to a specific frequency. Then you need to attach a radio transmitter to an AC power source. The radio waves will excite the quantum dots and produce DC electricity.

It's still not practical for things such as computers, and probably will never be practical for long-range power transmission.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its called Power Beaming - we have system here at work that does it.

It basically uses microwaves to transmit the energy - one problem, though is that you don't want to step into the beam :D

D

7. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    could be a fun way to get back at people you don't like. also- it could be useful for quickly re-warming your coffee...

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

autopsy confirms that his brains boiled.....

yah, that's it, good idea!!!

D

9. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

powerbeaming....hmmm i like that..so i donot have to go to the microwav eto switch it on.i will just switch on my laptop...

10. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Some companies also make pads you can place a device on to charge it. Integrating one of those into a desk or something would be killer. It's good technology, though there are still some bugs to work out. I can see Apple jumping on it if it becomes viable.