I Want A Macbook!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JohnnyQuest, May 27, 2006.

1. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

hi, im 15 and i am saving up for a macbook. ive never owned an apple computer and i was wondering if you all could help me. i havent seen them in person but from the pictures, the black looks like a dell. does the white show dirt easily? also what is the difference between a superdrive and a combo drive? :confused: finally, does AOL run on macs?

2. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

A superdrive can burn discs while a combo drive can only play them

the blackbook doesn't look like a dell at all (does dell even make black laptops?). They look more like the old black powerbooks if anything.

White will show dirt more easily, especially where your hands lie. It's the nature of white. If you keep up and clean it though, this shouldn't be a concern.

3. JohnnyQuest thread starter macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

eh wrong wrong wrong

a superdrive can burn both CDs and DVDs, a combo drive can burn CDs and can only play DVDs can not burn them

5. condor macrumors member

Just to clarify, a superdrive can both burn and play DVD's and CD's, while a combo drive can burn and play CD's, but only play DVD's (no DVD burning). And yes, AOL is available for Mac's.

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yup, shouldn't be a problem.

7. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

sorry :eek: In my excitement I forgot. Gah. sorry. As I understand it, combo drives are usually a little more quiet as well. :p

8. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

I just bought a blackbook and holy crap does it look like a Lombard Powerbook.

I don't know whether I like that fact yet or not, however, from experience with white Apple products, I'm hoping the blackbook hides dirt better (which would make me forget about the oldschool power book look entirely).

9. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

The old powerbooks are actually my favorite- particularly the pismo! So I actually love this fact about the blackbooks. And remember, the blackbooks are matte not glossy! Another reason they don't look like PCs. I know in pictures they can look like PCs, but when I finally saw a blackbook in person, you won't think that anymore.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

aol sucks, get annother ISP, seriously they are the worst.

11. Acehigh macrumors 6502

It looks like an IBM (now lenovo ) ThinkPad if anything.. but thinner, when i get mine i will post a picture of them side by side.

But it really does look like an APPLE... look at the big apple logo on it! and the funky keys

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

AOL for the Mac is something i had way back when right before we upgraded to broadband ... the software isn't that good to be honest, but i never really loved AOL.