I want a new digital camera for $540, help?

Discussion in 'Community' started by CrackedButter, Mar 14, 2004.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    My budget is either $540 or £300 (either side of the pond), I use xD cards with my dads camera but they are not mine. I have a 16Mb card and a 128Mb card. But I have a Lexar 8 in 1 memory reader (the best) so it really isn't an issue what card I have, but its worth mentioning.

I'm off to Japan soon and would like a good camera that fits within my budget and maybe I could use it for college on assignments.

Can anybody recommend me something, any professional photographers here or keen amatures with some good advice?
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    My father in law does a lot of traveling, so when he bought a digital camera, he was looking for two things beyond the features he wanted: compactness, and inconspicuousness. When traveling, you want a camera that doesn't stand out, because you don't want thieves to believe that you have a really valuable item. So, he chose the Olympus C-3030. Following after his extensive research, I bought one myself. It's a great camera, but it's now several generations old.

The current heir to this camera is the C-5060. It keeps the same form factor, but has a more powerful zoom and is up to 5.1 megapixels. It's gotten great reviews, so this might be a good choice for you. It's definitely right in your price range.
  3. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
  4. pooky macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2003
    Go to http://www.nikonmall.com and pick up a reconditioned coolpix 5000 ($529) or a 4300 ($319). I did it for my 995 and it's been great. It comes with a 90 day (?) warranty, and you get a great camera for much lower than its original market price.
  5. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    if you wanted the 4300, you could probably get it for sub $300 now, i got mine for $340 (new, 1 yr US warranty) a while after it was introduced.. it has to be cheaper now.
  6. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    I was in the same boat as you (but I used the money to put towards a dual G4..which sadley I sold 2 months after owning it).

Anwyay, I found Canon PowerShot G5's for $600. AMAZING camera!!!

They go for alot more than that, but if you browse around enough, you'l find great deals.