I want a powermac G5. Dual 2 with 1.5 gig ram and 9800 pro or wait for updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by invaLPsion, Apr 4, 2004.

1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I am facing a tremendously large decision. For 3 months I have waited for powermac updates. I refuse to wait until WWDC. I was going to wait until NAB but I have stumbled upon an amazing deal on a new dual 2GHz powermac with 1.5 gigs of ram and a 9800 pro. Now I face the ultimate choice: Wait or buy?

I am a little apprehensive about buying because the last time I bought a new computer the new iMacs came out 3 weeks later.

Will a dual 2GHz be able to run new games at top notch settings for the next 3 years? THe games I like to play currently are Warcraft 3, TrueCombat, and UT2k4.

When do you think the new powermacs will come out?

Should I hold off on this deal ($2300) and wait? (That's what I'm leaning towards.)

HELP ME. :confused:

2. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Oh yea.

I also have a new 17 inch KDS LCD, JBL Invaders, and an M-audio Revolution sound card that have been sitting around for two months waiting for a computer. :(

3. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

get it and enjoy it
    there's always a newer better thing that will come out in the case of the G5 they probably won't come out with WWDC in june and ship until august or something like that
    just out of curiosity where did you find that deal cause that's a really good price (if it isn't a western union scam or the likes)

4. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Sorry, won't tell you about the deal. :p I'm hoping it's not a scam because it is a wonderful price.

5. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I wouldn't call buying a computer to play the latest and greatest games a "tremendous decision!" That's funny. A lot of people are waiting to buy so they can be the best professional graphic designer/audio tech/multimedia pro/animator they can be.

But hey, as long as G5's get sold! ;)

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The deal that definitely has me tempted is purchasing a G5 and a 23" Cinema Display. The offer is a $500 rebate from Apple. They also have deal on memory. Also getting the Apple Pro Card and Apple ProCare Card.

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The Display rebate is good. The Memory deal is crap - you still save money by going to an outside memory dealer. AppleProCare?? Are you kidding?? What are _seriously_ going to need that for?

8. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

$2500 is a big decision. The gaming is a side thing. I would also use the G5 for editing purposes.

9. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

First, you have to ask yourself. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5... errp... sorry, wrong question. ;) You have to ask yourself if you *NEED* a new computer, or do you **WANT** a new computer.

If its a **WANT**, they you could wait until the cows come home, and make your decision that way.

If its a *NEED*, then you have to figure if its a real need right now or not.

10. Richocity macrumors newbie

I hear ya!

That's why I finally threw in the towel on this waiting game and bought a G5 DP 2ghz along with the 23" monitor (I should have it by week's end). One thing that got me was reading this site. I mean, every week there'd be a rumor saying 'Next Tuesday!'. And then next Tuesday would come and go. It all just got way too frustrating for me so I just bought!

Folks, it really doesn't seem that PM updates will come until WWDC and then we'll have to wait about a month for a brand-spanking new system. I figured that the current PMs are still awesome machines, and along with the brilliant savings (or whatever it's called) rebate, now was the time to buy.

Rich

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I don't mean to offend here but is there anything Apple does that you don't fawn over?

The memory "deal" is crap, even with discounts it's horribly overpriced.

Would you also buy iPoop if Jobs squeezed one out on stage at an Apple Expo?

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I definitely would not go that far. Since I'm not all that Tech savvy, these services mean a lot to me. I do a lot better if I can get some personal one on one support. Using phone or online help is very frustrating.

13. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

There is a trick to buying AND enjoying a new Mac.

The trick is to buy the new Mac that you can afford, maybe borrow a little bit to get you that little extra that would be nice. Buy from a discount store, or get it as cheap as you can. That might take a few weeks, and if Apple does come out with something new, then you are that much more ahead of the game.

After you plunk down the cash for the new Mac, and you take it home, promptly take it out and set it up and start using it and enjoying the new features and bells and whistles that you get from the new machine. You can show it off to your friends and family as well. You can also tell them how much you spent, but you need to be careful about this.

After a few days/weeks of this, the new Mac should be part of your routine, and you should just be using it like any old Mac, doing your stuff with it. Now, here comes the important stuff. DO NOT EVER, EVER, do a search for new Macs, or new prices. Stop reading Mac magazines, and stop reading new product announcements. Just get it out of your mind. Stop reading new product reviews, and do not participate in rumor sites. ;)

If someone forces you to listen to the new stuff that Apple comes out with, or its like 30 days or less and they show you a new thing that Apple came out with that replaced the 'new' Mac that you have just bought, remember their routine, and run them over with your car the next chance you get. :p :D

Or, you can just yell "LALALALALA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU.", put your hands over your ears when they start talking about the new Mac that replaced yours.

14. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

These services are available without buying ProCare. You can walk in to your Apple store at any time and speak with a "genius". Then again, it's up to the individual user to determine its value. Unless your Apple Store is a flagship, my experience is that there is no or a minimal wait to speak with a "genius". Most repairs can not be done in store so that feature is hype.

IMO, it's far more satisfying learning to become tech savvy and not having to rely on others. Macs are relatively easy to use. Having been a reseller for many years, many people are just afraid to play and experiment with their PCs. They shouldn't be, that's how you learn.

15. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

If I were you, I would wait...you've waited this long, and updates can't be far off, or at least I hope they're not...but i would wait

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

tough call, but i did notice Apple selling every model in the sales area including G5s as refurbs. single and duals. now could be the time to get a great deal on a ( Refurb) G5. edit ( no dual 1.8 G5s)

17. TDT macrumors member

Personally I would decide within myself to decide to get the box or not. The reason being is that everyone will have their own decisions to buy now, buy later, or whatever...but the fact of the matter is, if you need it - then getting the machine now is good.

One post was true though, don't compare your machine to others in the upcoming months. It's general policy that as soon as a machine hits your doorstep, a better one will have been made. Kinda sucks, but oh well. Best thing to remember is that you can get the machine now, and get done what you need to get done.

*shrug* though, my PC here I don't even compare to other machines much any more. Heck, it may not be 'top of the line' being about a year old, but it's still a great machine.