I Want Anything To Make My Mac Go To 802.11g! Help..anyone?!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Eckslusive, Mar 6, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if a Linksys wireless PCI card (802.11g, WMP54G) will work on my DP 1Ghz Mac (Mirrored Drive)?
    or maybe the WPC54G (Wireless G Notebook PCMIA)?
    I JUST WANT SOMETHING TO MAKE MY MAC RUN AT 802.11G...ANYTHING!!!

2. macrumors newbie

I bought a Linksys Wireless G router and configured it using a PowerMac 9600/350 via Netscape browser. I am going to connect a SMC EZ connect PCI wireless card adapter,but right now I have it connected on the router port. I connected a Toshiba laptop using a D-Link PCMCIA cardbus adapter, also configured on the mac. All works well. I will post again when I connected the wireless card or even a USB wireless adapter on my PowerMac. I didn't need a driver connecting the Linksys router and it didn't come with a mac driver to begin with. All configured using a web browser.

Later.

x:eek:

3. macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Looks to me that since they don't have a driver for OS X for that card, you are pretty out of luck with that specific card.

I searched around, and could not find a 802.11g PCI card that is mac compatible yet, I will keep looking though.

4. macrumors member

Re: I Want Anything To Make My Mac Go To 802.11g! Help..anyone?!

Why do you want G so badly? Are you sure you will be able to take advantage of it? The higher speed has a really short range.

5. macrumors member

Fear not! I'm using 802.11g right now on a 500mhz tiBook :D

Check out www.osxhax.com, and look for "The Infamous AirPort Extreme Hack." It was listed on macosxhints a while back, and apparently The Screen Savers even picked it up for TechTV. He's got a neat little Perl script that'll get the AirPort2 Kernel Extension to think that your Linksys card (or any other, afaik) is an airport extreme card.
    A few little quirks, like not being able to insert or remove the card while the computer is on, but it does the trick.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: Re: I Want Anything To Make My Mac Go To 802.11g! Help..anyone?!

Exactly, my distance is only around 25 feet. But I want G-wireless cause I have the base for it and plus I want to take advantage of the speed.

thanks timbloom and goblin

7. macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: Re: I Want Anything To Make My Mac Go To 802.11g! Help..anyone?!

for internet access mostly? or do you move a lot of file around on your internal network?

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes i do a lot of network transferring cause I usually do a lot of graphic intensive files and change them into PDF (and you know how big those files are) and I need to send them over. And plus, I have 4 computers around the house that will be connected on it.

9. macrumors 601

zimv20

wow. they're all going to be connected wirelessly? i've got my desktops cabled and only my ibook is wireless. 11b.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup :D ALLLL 4 of them..ITS GOING TO BE CRAZY. I already have 2 of them hooked on to G and its WONDERFUL. My whole family can see the difference. And the AP Extreme base is great cause it has a Print thingy..so we only need one good printer. And I bought the Dr.Bott thing too...So it can reach pretty far. Thats why I want my Mac to be wireless too
    Cause I hate having my laptop connected on wires.

11. macrumors 601

zimv20

yah, it's pretty darn cool, even w/ 11b. good luck gettin' your whole network on 11g, it seems you've got a good handle on it.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you sooo much for giving me that site. I'm now using G on all of my computers. it took me quite a while to understand what the heck that PERL and all that mumbo-jumbo was. Thanks Goblin!! :D :)