I want irc to work :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calebjohnston, Jan 26, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'm just ranting. Stupid school blocked snak from working, and that's what I spent all my free time doing - talking to my friends on there. rarrrrr

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

check out cgiirc - http://cgiirc.sf.net
    some networks have that, like p2p-irc

you might also want to check out other ways of connecting to irc servers (like, if you can ssh into a machine at home that's connected, that could work...)

3. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

first idea didn't work, and I don't have any other machines at home to do that with. Thanks for actually taking the time tho.

4. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

try this website...
    http://www.pure-mac.com/irct.html

5. symlink macrumors newbie

my guess is that they blocked the standard ports for irc (6000 - 7000 or so...). You may want to look into irc servers that use non-standard ports. I know on undernet there are a few servers that have some ports in the 4000 range... this may get you around the firewall.

Good Luck!

6. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'll give that a try for music purpose, i really just wanted wondernet for the sake of talking to old friends. Thanks for the response tho.

7. Timepass macrumors 65816

something some people at my school have done to get around the irc port blocking is they go to a public proxy server. Only problem is a lot places that host IRC block those servers so it hard to find one that will work since most of them have gotten black listed

8. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

stupid IT nerds at schools :(. limewire and all that still works, but i don't even want irc for the music. rarr.

Thanks for all the responses guys