i want MBP :-(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Midgetinabikini, Aug 27, 2006.

  1. Midgetinabikini macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2006
    #1
    but i cant buy becuse pepole keep telling me that there's gonna be new version in few weeks.

    how sure are you about the new version?

    few pepole even want to buy linda for 8000 nis (around 1500USD) but i cant sell it before i get the MBP.
     
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #2
    People are mad. Get what you need, when you need it. Technology will always improve and whatever you buy will eventually be outdated. :)
     
  3. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

    ZoomZoomZoom

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    #3
    I'm going to assume that your current computer's name is linda, and you're not running a mail-order bride business :p

    It's quite certain that there will be at very least a speed bump (into Core 2) in the near future, if not enough to constitute a "rev." Mostly sure it'll be before the first couple weeks of September, although recent news suggests it might even be as early as the next couple days.
     
  4. Killyp macrumors 68040

    Killyp

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2006
    #4
    Mad Jew is right as usual. I don't know why everyone is like "oooh I'm going to wait until Merom comes out, even if it means failing my GCSEs over it". Merom is nothing special. It's a TINY improvement over the current CoreDuo processors. Most people will never notice a difference!
     
  5. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

    ZoomZoomZoom

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    #5
    Yeah, after seeing Anandtech's evalution, Merom's not that great over Yonah. But it's still worth it to wait a couple days, as current rev MBPs are definitely going to drop in value once the new ones come out, and why not save some green by just sitting around for a week?
     
  6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #6
    All very valid points here. If you urgently need one, go for it. If you can sit tight for 3 weeks (give or take), then you can get your MBP and not have to worry about any other MBP outpacing you for a good few months before this exact same thread pops up again :p
     
  7. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #7

    My policy as well, if you need a new computer now, then buy one now. Merom will be faster, but not by much. :)
     
  8. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

    Palad1

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Location:
    London, UK
    #8
    just don't get a rev. A

    héhéhé same old discussions ;)
     
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #9

    Not all Rev A products have problems (take my MacBook Pro for example), they just tend to have a higher percentage of units with problems then Rev B models. :)
     
  10. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    #10
    it's not just about merom. let's wait and see if the case gets a slight redesign such as magnetic latch, user replaceable hard drive, etc., etc.

    glad i haven't bought a mbp yet...
     
  11. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2005
    #11
    Perhaps one will debut tomorrow with merom... if you buy from the Apple Store you should be fine.
     
  12. jvan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2006
    #12
    wait for it..

    it's a core 2 duo... it's not just an update... it's totally new.... just wiat :D
     
  13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #13
    and a new GPU... there's more to a laptop than the processor.

    I say wait. A few weeks (or days) patience will get you something that will last you six months longer on the other end and probably have some nice new features.
     
  14. tedrjr03 macrumors regular

    tedrjr03

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2006
    #14
    If you need it now buy it,if you can wait then do it, i would suggest waiting because you will probaly regret not waiting just a little time
     
  15. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2005
    #15
    I know how you feel. I'm still waiting for that 13.3 inch version. :eek:
     
  16. Josias macrumors 68000

    Josias

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2006
    #16
    Yeah, I second the "wait of you can", but I also got something new:D

    All the little stuff you will notice except new G/CPU.
    1: 8x DL SuperDrive in 15", is very probable in the next generation, and though it may not mean much to many people, it's a big difference 4x vs. 8x, and also the DL capability can come in handy.
    2: Magnetic latch. If the screen is not too wobbly, Apple will most probably put a magnetic latch into the next generation. I love my MB latch! Though it takes same amout of time opening, it saves you a lot of time closing the lappy.
    3: Trackpad on 15". If you desire to right click on the 15", you'll have to reach for the control key, and can't just keep two fingers on the pad, and then click. This is a little annoyance, that I would hate to have.
    4: The extras. The next gen. may also consider many new sweet features. Who knows what Apple will come up with, but there might be larger HDD's, FW800 in the 15", better speakers/mic/iSight, brighter screen, ExpressCard/54 slot, 17" may be 0.9" thin and so on.

    Conclusion: Wait...:D
     
  17. Pressure macrumors 68040

    Pressure

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Denmark
    #17
    Actually, the MacBook Pro has been able to do this since the 10.4.7 update. ;)
     
  18. Josias macrumors 68000

    Josias

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2006
    #18
    Oh, didn't know:p

    But I forgot to tell you about the joy that is integrated keyboard:D

    Also better batterylife. The 15" may be upgraded to 68 Wh as the 17".

    Nå, det vidste jeg ikke:p

    Men jeg glemte at fortælle om glæden ved integreret tastatur:D

    Også længere batteritid. 15-tommeren bliver måske opgraderet til 68 Wh ligesom 17'eren.
     
  19. Alag28 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2006
    #19
    i say get one now they're reallly nice machines plus.... big deal a memron
     
  20. Pressure macrumors 68040

    Pressure

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Denmark
    #20
    Actually using a MacBook as we speak as my MacBook Pro is in for repair.

    Hopefully it will be finished this coming week.
     
  21. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
  22. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

    gauchogolfer

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2005
    Location:
    American Riviera
    #22
    Yeah, take it from viccles, who never wavers about any MBP buying decision :rolleyes:

    Just teasing, of course :)
     
  23. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #23
    No of course not :p But if your like me (and cant' wait who doesn't really need the update) I say buy now. But if you have more patience than me or you are a high end user wait and bite your fingernails till then!

     
  24. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #24

    I agree, an improved GPU would be a more important thing to wait for than just Merom. :)
     
  25. Pressure macrumors 68040

    Pressure

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Denmark
    #25
    Not going to happen. There haven't been any new graphic cards made specifically for the mobile segment that can replace the Mobility X1600.

    We will most likely see a replacement when graphic chips move to 65nm process.
     

Share This Page