Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I'm using a 5 without a case. Received it in the mail on Day 1, used it for a month or so without a case, then when the case I ordered showed up I put it in there for a couple months, then for the past two weeks it has been case free. No damage thus far, including scrapes, scratches, and scuffs. Don't worry too much.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Mine was caseless for 12 hrs and in that short period of time it was accidently dropped from less than 2 ft on tile, the bottom corner took the hit and it flattened the rounded edge. Not worth caseless IMO, this phone is way to fragile

Interesting.... Mine slid from my oversized leather chair to the hardwood floor, maybe 1.5ft and I swore it would be dented but it was fine.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
This ^^. I got Apple Care + just so I could use my phone without having to baby it. I've got some scratches on my iPhone 5 but I'm willing to live with them and it's comforting knowing I can replace it twice for $50. I'll probably never use it but it makes me enjoy my phone more so it's worth the $.

me too. Honestly... for the $$ my wife has spent on cases, she could have dropped and broke her phone 1.5x

I still take good care of my phone and don't put it in my pocket with keys or whatever. I still have a skin on it (partly just to see how the whole skin thing worked out)... but I can truely say that I enjoy it (caseless) much more with piece of mind.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
If you suffer from severe OCD and tend to drag your phones against abrasive surfaces - yes. If you're normal - no.

Actually, sadly, it has been shown that the black iPhone 5 will scuff with normal use.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I am so disappointed, I paid a premium for the iphone 5 over a SIII because I wanted the premium feel of the aluminium finish.
Price doesn't guarantee a lack of scratches. Aluminum is a soft metal. It scratches and coatings can wear. It doesn't how much you pay for your aluminum. It's still aluminum.

Are there any other purists out there? How have you overcome this issue without wrapping you iphone in plastic or some bulky case?
Plenty of people have not experienced scratches. Another person's experience, however, won't necessarily be indicative of your own. Some people can use a device naked without major scratches. Others cannot. You need to look at your preferences, usage, etc. You have to determine whether going naked or protecting your phone is a bigger priority.

The Accessories subforum is filled with discussions on cases, screen protectors, protective films, etc. Try looking at the threads on the options and see what sounds like it would suit you.

If there really is no solution, I may try to swap it for a white model, I wonder if anyone has some pointers on how to achieve this?
http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi...n,question=ref(user):str(mobile),CASE=ref(RR1)

That was an unhelpful and useless reply if ever I've seen one.

Is this what you forum folk call trolling?
Nope. You may not like the tone but it's not trolling. It is, for the most part, a reply from a practical perspective whether you like it or not.

"Be careful relying solely on what you read", "be careful assuming trends from forum postings" and "products like this tend to show wear given how they tend to be used" are certainly useful advice given your OP.

Actually, sadly, it has been shown that the black iPhone 5 will scuff with normal use.
"Normal" means nothing. Usage varies by person. Again, some will have scratches, scuffs, etc from "normal" use. Some will not.

Again, each person has to take whatever precautionary measures they're willing to take.

You have no idea what OCD is.
Most people don't and misuse the term. Being concerned with keeping with an iPhone looking new isn't OCD.

Last edited:

bill504

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
I use power support anti glare screen protector and a zagg leather back. Still pretty naked but both major surfaces still protected and the back keeps it from slipping from my hand.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2011
I suggest a case if you don't want to endure my pain

FED5DFF0-165E-4EA4-A4C0-ACFEA296E006-1856-0000011C38E429F9.jpg

cdfink08

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2007
I'm sorry, how has this "come to your attention" Has it actually happened to you? My 5 is flawless without a case.

Why? Because of something you read on the internet?

What issue? it's a device that's used daily, and it's pretty insane to expect something you're handeling multiple times a day NOT to show signs of use.

You mean bring it into a store and expect them to switch it out for you because you've seen manufacturing defents on it?

Oh, I'm sorry, you haven't even opened it yet? When I was a kid people said there were monsters under my bed. Did I avoid looking under the bed for fear of what might be under there or did I go by my own experience to verify if it was true?

Good luck, I think you'll need it.

Get over yourself *******. You know damn well what the guy is talking about. There is a very obvious and well known defect with some of iPhone getting scuffed VERY easily. You can try to defend it all you want, but its there and this guy was simply asking for suggestions

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2011
And the hassle to replace its a pain having to get a new one don't realise how much you miss it till your using an old nokia again lol

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
I'd say try it naked for a few days...see if you really have an issue with the wear of the phone. Some people report that they've been naked with their iPhone since day one and it looks flawless.

*ahem* Now that's a mental image I REALLY don't want! :eek: Just remember not to look in the Photos folder or at their browsing history...

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Anyone with good sense would throw the thing in a case so fast!

I sell phones for a living and most of the problems we have are iPhones and most of those problems are people who broke their screens.

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Thank you

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I feel much better prepared for what to expect now.

I just got back from outdoors, reassured by the thread I got the phone out of the box to start using it, and I noticed a chip in the bezel. There's no way that I could have done this because of the chip's location - it must have happened before the screen was inset. I'm swapping it for another tomorrow, but I'll stick with black 'cos it's too damn sexy!

Lots of good suggestions here, but ultimately I think it's worth the risk to go nude with a leather sleeve :)

Dot

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I received my phone for Christmas and I bought a case for it, after about a week I just hated the idea of it being covered up. So I am caseless since then.

So far I love it, I bought AppleCare+ this time around so it it gets really bad I can get it replaced.

katai

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
I've been using mine caseless and only dropped it once with only 2 minor dings on the back edge. It sucks that happened but I'm happy with the phone caseless. I use a case just for work and when I know I'll be getting drunk or activity that might drop phone. I have applecare+ too just in case I damage the phone even more but I try to take care of the phone.

vcao

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
I put a skin on mine and use it w/o a case.

I use a case when I'm doing things outside or if I go somewhere I know I'll want/need one...

while I don't get the full-fledged aluminum feel of the phone (the skin makes it feel rubbery) I still get to have a really super-thin phone that looks cool and best of all, fits nicely in my pocket.

Wrapsol Ultra. Applies dry. Doesn't peel up over time.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
The possibility of scuffs doesn't bother me, but on winter days when my hands are dry and chapped, my iPhone feels too slick, and I'm afraid I'll accidentally drop it. My wife dropped hers on the second day after she got it, but fortunately it wasn't damaged. That's the reason we bought cases. I got a UAG case that I wasn't wild about at first from an aesthetic standpoint, but the great reviews convinced me that it was a practical case. Now I love the look, and my iPhone feels much better and more secure in my hand than it did when it was naked. And an advantage to keeping my phone scuff-free will be that it will help the resale value when I upgrade to my next iPhone. My iPhone 4 is pristine, thanks to the case I kept it in.

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Get over yourself *******. You know damn well what the guy is talking about. There is a very obvious and well known defect with some of iPhone getting scuffed VERY easily. You can try to defend it all you want, but its there and this guy was simply asking for suggestions

Hey cdfink,

Are you implying that some batches are less prone to scuffs than others?

I've seen these youtube vids that suggest the ip5 is far more durable than I thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2BxL0nRDlY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMvE0lkunBg

and this to suggest otherwise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSFKVq36Hgc

Since I'm returning the defective one tomorrow, is there any way to check if the replacement is a good 'un or not?

Cheers,

Dot

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
This ^^. I got Apple Care + just so I could use my phone without having to baby it. I've got some scratches on my iPhone 5 but I'm willing to live with them and it's comforting knowing I can replace it twice for $50. I'll probably never use it but it makes me enjoy my phone more so it's worth the $.

And yes, I've had Android phones for 3 years. Plastic phones don't compare and after 2 years of usage they look absolutely terrible.

And this again =) ^^^^

Sheesh... the people who want a "cosmetically perfect" phone are always the people who moan and groan about putting a case on it. Why is it so hard to understand that if you treat something, well ANYTHING really, like crap it won't stay as nice as when you open the package???

Why do people just assume it's the manufacturers responsibility to ensure the device stays flawless forever?

I'm shocked some of these OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and yes I know the term very well thank you) folks can even exist in the modern world the way they obsess over teeny time damage on their PHONES.

You don't have to like having a crappy looking phone, but if you care for it it won't ever look crappy to begin with... If it does it's 100% YOUR FAULT!!!

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Naked from release day, no issues. Take out of pocket when in use put back in when not in use. I really don't see what's so hard about keeping it nice

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
That was an unhelpful and useless reply if ever I've seen one.

Is this what you forum folk call trolling?

No, it was an honest and factual response to your post. Your letting your life be ruled by rumors. Let go. Enjoy your new device. Don't believe everything you read. Enjoy.

Kolmogorov

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011

Attachments

• smartcase_iphone5_black_lg.jpg
    smartcase_iphone5_black_lg.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 78
  • smartcase_iphone5_pocket_earpods_lg.jpg
    smartcase_iphone5_pocket_earpods_lg.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
My phone is naked and still pristine condition. I have a screen protector and a back matte skin that just covers the aluminum back. I baby my phone. Front pocket is dedicated to the phone only. So far, so good!

I do have a couple of cases, but always go back to naked within a few hours.

I like all my Apple products without cases. iPad has a Smart Cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    699.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.