I want the 24" iMac? but updates are soon?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PAC2007, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. PAC2007 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2007
    #1
    Hiya

    I recently sold my 20" Core Duo (not C2D) to my brother in law.

    Now this leaves me in a pickle. I was all set 2 weeks ago to buy the 24" model, fully kitted.

    However, thanks to macrumors etc, updates ARE due but we dont know for sure when and what.

    This has confussed me, I want/need one now....but I am thoughtful of the pending updates?

    What I keep telling myself is, the updates, wont be as dramatically improvment over what is on sale now will it?

    I mean a 2.33GHz, 2GB, 256MB 7800GT computer will handle anything I throw at it, and will take on Leopard with no problems right? So why wait if I want one now?

    Help me, what should I doooooooooooooooooo!

    Thanks Guys!
     
  2. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

    ppnkg

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    Buy now or wait for ever.... I had the same problem in summer 2005. The isight imac was released a month after I bought mine, but to tell you the truth, I don't regret my decision to buy at tha point.

    After all, whatever leopard brings the new imacs will handle it .
     
  3. PAC2007 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2007
    #3
    What I also considered is to buy a MacBook (Black :) ) and use this till I was happy that the updates/whatever were out and I was sure I still want one.

    Besides the iMac computers, I've fancied a MacBook for ages. This will handle Vista too, and even play (according to people I've asked) my favorite two games. EVE Online and Day Of Defeat: Source.

    I'd love to have the MacBook, and possibly keep it beyond whatever new iMac comes out in the next how many months?

    Ahhhh all these idea's rushing through my head :(

    :D
     
  4. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #4
    Imo, there is no significant updates for the 24" iMac... Well one worth putting off getting a computer you need for the next 2+++ months.
     
  5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2007
    Location:
    Southampton UK
    #5
    If like you say, you want/need it now, then there's no reason not to get it now.

    I've got it, its a great machine. I'm comfortable knowing aswell, that I can upgrade RAM easily, space isnt an issue. And it's going to be more than capable running leopard when that comes out.

    All is good.

    "So why wait if I (you) want one now?"
     
  6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #6
    7600Gt not 7800GT and yes iMac will handle anything but its past due for a update. Buy now if you need it, or wait and get the latest greatest.
     
  7. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

    nazmac21

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2007
    Location:
    Digital World
    #7
    There might be a 30" iMac so buy it if it comes out.
     
  8. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2002
    Location:
    WA
    #8
  9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #9
    I told my Dad to wait on getting a 24 inch iMac. Leopard is around the corner (I don't care if it's buggy) and Quad processors might end up in the 24 inch iMac soon (i hope to god) which would make yet again the perfect bridge between the 8-core Mac Pro and 4-core iMac.
     
  10. itsme92 Guest

    #10
    If you haven't ordered the computer yet, don't get the 2.33Ghz processer, the performance difference is not proportionate to the price you pay.
     
  11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #11
    Yes, it would be a different story if Santa Rosa notebooks were sitting on the shelf at CompUSA and you were wondering for 8 weeks when the new iMac 24 is going to show.

    But no new notebooks yet, so no hint of when the new iMac will show.

    Could be 8 weeks, could be 8 weeks from when CompUSA is flooded with new Centrino Pro machines.

    >>FF_productions

    Since the iMac is notebook-based, you have to think notebook technology.

    Though one can always hope that Apple will switch to a desktop chipset.

    It is an outside chance, and may happen sometime in the next couple revisions to bring the iMac a bit more in-line as a Pro level machine.

    The iMac needs the 4 DIMM slots and 16GB memory quite badly, since people will go pale at the notebook requirement with 2 SO-DIMMs and 8GB memory when they look at the dimm prices.
     
  12. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

    TheManOfSilver

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2004
    Location:
    Canada
    #12
    Personally, I'd say wait if you can. I think updates are upcoming in the next 2-3 months. What gets updated, and to what extent is very difficult to predict, but at a minimum I would expect a modest boost to processor speed, hard drive capacities and the graphics card along with Leopard and iLife '07 pre-installed.

    That could be $300-500 worth of upgrades (including software) for a reasonably short wait.

    Then again, if you absolutely need it now, by all means buy ... you'll have an awesome machine either way.
     
  13. Toddgabweg macrumors member

    Toddgabweg

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Location:
    PA
    #13
    I'm going to wait for the update... but it is really hard waiting... that would be great if they came out with a 30" imac... I am hoping for a black imac:cool: with video inputs when they are updated...
     
  14. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #14
    Buy now...nothing will change drastically from now until leopard is released. Leopard is due in "spring"...that could mean anything. The upgrade will be around 100$. Any machines that come out will only have minor speed bumps probably...its stupid to go 2+++ (as one user put it) without a computer just to get such minor updates.

    Any machine you buy either now or 3 months from now will be horribly outdated in like 2 yrs from now that you wont care if you had waited or not, because either way youll want the new one! Whatever will be out then will be better than what you have now, or will have in 2+++ months.
     
  15. PAC2007 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2007
    #15
    What about imac going quad-core? and probably updated graphics too?

    I dont think I can take the risk? I want the 24" iMac, but not when according to the latest 'low stock levels' rumour? I'd be well annoyed if at the end of this month/april/may Apple release Quad?

    Maybe I should get the MacBook, use it, enjoy, keep it? then buy a iMac when its been updated?

    I could always sell on the MacBook?

    What do you think guys?
     
  16. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

    nazmac21

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2007
    Location:
    Digital World
    #16
    Buy the MacBook and later buy an iMac (if you want). Use the MacBook for your portability needs.
     
  17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #17
    You keep missing the point, the iMac is a laptop in a desktop case.

    Until they switch to a desktop chipset, the iMac will be limited just as much as the rest of the laptops.

    Most people still expect Apple to keep the iMac destop-bound laptop -- and use the Santa Rosa platform.

    If you look at all the current consumer machines and laptops, they are more alike now at their core than they were in the PPC G3/G4 era when Apple decided to make the switch to unified designs.
     
  18. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

    psycoswimmer

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #18
    If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't, wait forever. ;)
     
  19. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

    psycoswimmer

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #19
    I highly doubt this happening. :p
     
  20. solvs macrumors 603

    solvs

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    LaLaLand, CA
    #20
    Santa Rosa models will be out around May or June. Probably at the same time as Leopard, iLife, and iWork. If you can wait that long for a slightly faster FSB, RAM, CPU, and GPU, wait. If not, buy now.
     
  21. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #21
    Agreed. Have you seen how big the 24 inch iMac is? The thing is friggin huge! A 30 inch iMac is most defintely possible in the FUTURE, but I doubt Apple's going to release an iMac that is the same size as their highest-end cinema display. I won't rule it out for the future.
     
  22. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location:
    NE Hoosierana
    #22
    Greetings. ;) Well, for what its worth,,, I bought both w/in two weeks of each other. The iMac is a refurbed C2D 24" model, and then a new white C2D MB. Actually use the MB for my email/web/reports/traveling, and then the iMac for photo editing, multi-page & multi report layouts, etc. Really like 'em both, and given what I've heard from your needs so far, would recommend a refurbed C2D MB - get a very nice portable machine, do all ya need for now, and save some $$ until the right iMac of your dreams comes along. :)
     
  23. knowledg333 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
    #23
    I strongly recommend waiting. The iMac is due, and by WWDC the time will be right for a significant upgrade, possibly a whole new form factor. The rumored black or red iMac could also be released. 30" model could be possible, but I doubt that one. Graphics card will see a major increase in power, backlit LED monitor for greater brightness, Santa Rosa should be rolling out (which is what I'm waiting for until I buy a MBP), Leopard, iLife, RAM base will be higher, as well as the HD base capacity.... Why do you need to buy it now? Good things come to those who wait. It's only a few months. Let's not forget the crazy factor, which means that there is always the potential for something out of this world...especially after the disappointing MacWorld Expo.
     
  24. jonnysods macrumors 601

    jonnysods

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Location:
    There & Back Again
    #24
    Settle Down

    A new iMac in the next few weeks? An updated one at WWDC? I went throught this nail biter last year when WWDC came around and I had been waiting since March for a new iMac - WWDC is for professionals, Mac Pros and such. That's what that will be focused on. Plus the latest iMac only came out in September, so you might not see another until then or August once the Santa Rosas come out.

    If you wait 2 months all you are going to get is Leopard and iLife 07. The real changes will still be a while away.

    And whoever mentinoed the quad core processors - they are for desktop machines - as much as I would love desktop components in my iMac (for price and speeds) it won't happen just yet. If they release a quad core moible processor though - you can be sure I'll be dropping it on my logic board as soon as I can get my grubby hands on one!

    So - buy the 24" or wait another 6 months!
     
  25. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

    Cybergypsy

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    Central Florida!
    #25
    I feel your pain, I boughht a 24" imac.....and sold it within a month,, I also will wait for the next design as current one is not for me.

    Bought my a HP iq770 and am not looking back, Have been with Mac for 20 years and loved it and still do....BUT they a QC meeds much improvement, Had 3 macs with isues out of 4 in the last 6 months..... I would wait :)

    I see a mac in my future.....but the new PC has more toys and love the touch screeen
     

Share This Page