Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
ChrisA said:
The problem is Sony is their "system" is not big. They do not offer a full line of lenses, bodies and strobes. and even worse they have NOT demonstraighted a long term commitment to interchangable parts. If they change the lens mount or discontinue the DSLR line in five years you are stuck Nikon hasa 50 year history with the "F-mount" and a public stated commitment to support the f-mount "forever". Canon is almost as good with their EOS system

When you chose a camera you are buying into s "system" and it will be quite expensive to change systems later. Good lenses will last decades and you will collect quite a few. Look into the total system offered by each company. For example you might get into sports photography or birds. Does Sony offer a 400mm f/2.8 lens? Do they have anything to compete with those 70-200 f/2.8 zoom that Nikon and Conon sell? Will Sony ever sell a pro-quality DSLR body? Think ahead 5 to 10 years.

I was also thinking about getting that new Sony A100. From the spec information, it seems to have a lot of compatible accessories due the Konica-Minolta mount spanning the past 21 years.

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=DSLR-A100&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=Accesories&category=DPH+Digital+SLR

The link above shows a lot of lenses and stuff available.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
you need at least a 1ds mk2 with 7 different L lenses (all covering the same sort of range).... if you dont.... then you can't be any good.

;)

350d
d50

to best starter DSLRs in my opinion.... wont go wrong with either. 350d probably better value i would say

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
Topono said:
Does anyone have tips on what time of the day you think it's best to shoot?

Although others have said anytime of the day is fine, it actually depends on what you're shooting. For most landscape photography, early morning or evenings (with moderate to less light) are better - the more the sunlight and lesser the shadows (like at noon), the more 'flat' a picture will appear to be, lacking depth. Moreover, the color of the natural light in the early and late hours itself adds nicely to the way things are perceived. Shadows help show the depth (or distance). While reading about photography and low light problems, don't go on a single track thinking that you should always have a lot of light! :) Different shots call for different requirements.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
jessica. said:
Honestly, the best thing to do is go out and get a camera. Don't worry about pro or whatever. Just learn to frame your shots. My theory is to shoot like you don't have photoshop. In other words, I come from a long line of film. Each shot would run me about $2.50 a shot so I had to be right the first time or it would be VERY costly. I learned to do all of my work in the camera and not worry about what I would fix with photoshop.

You'll want to learn about light, depth of field, how the f-stops affect light and depth of field. The list is long, but first just get out there and shoot. If this is a hobby then make it fun. You've seen what people can do with a camera, now go try it for yourself.

No words have been spoken that come closer to truth. Film is the only true school!

However, typically one has at least an idea of what kind of photographer one would like to become. I know of one in Italy who specializes in ski booths. He does nothing else but that and he is a real pro with the lighting using fiberoptic and all sorts of "tricks" to bring out the details... That is his "core competence" and his life-line

Me, I went from the "rock concert" period of my youth when I used to go to all the concerts I could with a 200 mm Nikkor showed down my pants (unconfortable, but I did get a few giggles as well as some great pics..:rolleyes: ) to travel, micro, nature and animals and now underwater stuff...

Maybe one day I'll be back in Africa to spend my retired life taking pictures but for the time being, I am stuck writing reports..:(

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
wiseguy27 said:
Although others have said anytime of the day is fine, it actually depends on what you're shooting. For most landscape photography, early morning or evenings (with moderate to less light) are better - the more the sunlight and lesser the shadows (like at noon), the more 'flat' a picture will appear to be, lacking depth. Moreover, the color of the natural light in the early and late hours itself adds nicely to the way things are perceived. Shadows help show the depth (or distance). While reading about photography and low light problems, don't go on a single track thinking that you should always have a lot of light! :) Different shots call for different requirements.

Good advise. I had a friend that planned his road trips so that the bulk of the driving was done during the glare of the "noon day sun", or in the darkest of the night. Wish I could sleep at odd hours.

Ga6

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2006
adelaide hills australia
my recommendation would be
buy a low end digital cam, make it cheap, when you figure out the limitations for what turns u on in photography..upgrade and make that cheap too

invest in a computer with some grunt, and get used to the software required...once again you dont need the best available just go with what you can afford

and read read read, magazines keep you up to date with the technology but
good photographs are timeless and give you what you should be learning, competence in composition, that is primary, that IS photography....when you can see frames in your sleep...your getting wired

technical competence is an akin relationship, you need to be able to critique your photographs....and be a hard judge
work toward a goal, what division of photography do you see yourself in, for there are many unexpected paths to photography as a career. Indeed you could start by doing portraits at a fair or market. Whatever you choose find out all about it as a business

i dont shoot with canon anymore but they are a good place to start, try to work with manual modes to get a handle on the techniques, and to seek control. I bought my first 3 digitals as cheap as I could, and perhaps unbelievably earned my first money with an A70 and wide converter lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.