I want to buy new speakers... Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by totally_fly, Sep 21, 2003.

1. totally_fly macrumors member

Nov 12, 2002
    I love quality, but I need power.

My SoundSticks just don't cut it anymore. Loud high-pitch = distortion. Subwoofer is not powerful enough and doesn't have enough range. Midrange sounds are simply O.K.

I've looked around for reviews about good 2.1 speaker set ups, and with all my research I have concluded that these are the best 2.1, well-priced computer speakers available at the moment.

An intersting thing to note is that the Altec-Lansing 621 came out quite a while ago. I sort of expect an update to the product within the next two months. I have no way to assure this though.

I can't decide between 1) I'm wrong, and there are better speakers at the moment! 2) Wait for new version and compare it to older one 3) Buy now, best deal and quality/power ratio available at the moment!

I really don't want anything other than a 2.1 system (2 satellites, 1 subwoofer) There are space issues and compatibility issues.. if I'm going to plug them into a stereo outlet, then I won't really be getting surround sound... it's pointless to have this feature if the 2.1 system already goes louder than anyone really can bear!

I'm using a G4 733 Digital Audio, so I guess my soundcard is the default one (can't figure out for the hell of me what), but I havn't been using it because my SoundSticks have an external one

So, if a soundcard change on my mac is necessary, I'd also be interested in getting opinions on what the best thing I could get my hands on and install myself would be.

I would appreciate the opinion of someone experienced in this field who would be willing to point me in the right direction.

Ps: There is a good review on the 621 available here.
  2. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    I recommend the Klipsch 2.1 proMedias....they sound, look, perform great :D
  3. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2001
    Montgomery, AL
    Absolutely right, Tazo. Go with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setup. I use them, and I'm absolutely thrilled with the performance that I've gotten. Not only is the sound bright, clean, and incredibly well defined (clean highs, bold mids, and booming bass), but they're powerful enough to shake the walls three rooms away. You will not be dissapointed with this system. :D
  4. 3-22 macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2002

Have you looked any at Monsoon speakers? I have the PM-14's and find them excellent both in quality and the ability to fill the room. If I have any complaint is they are sometimes so clear and crisp they show the poor quality in some recordings. Check out the reviews they are consistently ranked up there with the best. I'd avoid the PM-9's though I have read they are a bit under-powered. The price is right too, you can find them on PriceGrabber around $100. The only caveat with these speakers is they have a very focused tweeter, it's fine if your at the desk but don't expect them (the tweeters) to fill a large room.

If you want "audiophile" quality and money is no object, the MM-2000 are also supposed to be very good.

5. totally_fly thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2002
    I looked for reviews on the klipsch speakers and I got mixed feedback. Some say the volume controls are strange, others mention that the sound is not balanced and that the bass overpowers the rest of the system.

I don't know and I don't know of any stores in my area that sell Klipsch products. I wish I could try them out first.

Monsoon speakers have been criticized for being extremely sensitive to direction. I have the same problem with my soundsticks.. I would like to minimize this effect.
  6. totally_fly thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2002

I no longer am interested in the 621 from Altec Lansing. The 641 is much more interesting. With extra power, and a much nicer remote, the deal is quite sweet.

The only catch is that I can't find this kit Anywhere on the web. :(

I'm thus looking for an alternative. Klipsch doesn't make aesthetically pleasing 4.1's but does make a pretty sweet 4.2. That is clearly overboard for me though.

I don't want 5.1, I want 4.1 because I won't be using my speakers for surround sounds, just stereoscopic ones.