I want to format my iPod for Windows, but sync it with Mac

Discussion in 'iPod' started by redfire, Oct 6, 2006.

1. redfire macrumors member

Is it possible to keep my iPod formatted as Fat32 (I assume that's what it would use if it's formatted for windows) but sync it with my Mac?

I want to use it as a portable hard drive, and 99/100 times that I need to move a file from a computer, that computer is running Windows.

Also does the computer have to have iTunes on it to charge my iPod? I tried hooking it up to my Windows machine, but it wouldn't charge.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, a Windows-formatted iPod will work perfectly with a Mac. You'll need to use a PC with iTunes to update the iPod firmware when updates are released, that's the only caveat. Oh, and you'll probably want to disable auto-sync so that you won't have to worry about inadvertently wiping your music, just set it to Manually Manage Songs and videos etc. in the iPod summary window.

As for charging, I don't know. I would presume PCs still route power to the USB ports even if they're not being used to access a drive. Are you sure the ports are powered?

3. redfire thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response.

Yes I'm sure they're powered, my old iriver h320 was able to charge with them.

One more question, I'd like to save my game data before I format my iPod for Windows, but in disk mode I can only see the contacts, notes, calendar folders. Is there some "show hidden folders" thing in OS X like in Windows?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Probably but you may need to go through Terminal. I really can't help you there I'm afraid.

5. redfire thread starter macrumors member

6. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

There's no easy way to turn on hidden files and folders. Instead you can use the following commands from a Terminal window:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    killall Finder

And to hide them again:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    killall Finder

I hope this helps...

EDIT: Oh I see you solved it already! :)