Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treepuppy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Hi everyone,

My June mid-2015 MacBook Pro Retina has been getting hot recently. After reading some blogs, I decided that I should open up the bottom so that I can clean dust off the fan

I'm currently in Taiwan for a few months. Little things for electronics are pretty cheap here. I don't need to order online. At the store they just speak Chinese though and the packaging is all in Chinese too. I can just make out the "1.2 mm" on the packaging for the screwdriver I found.

I am just confused, and I want to be sure for whoever knows.. for the mid-2015 MacBook Pro Retina.. what size screwdriver do I need to buy? Is it the "P5" (1.2 mm) screwdriver?

There is some conflicting info about this on the Internet.. and there is also confusion about different screws being used with different model years. So if anyone is able to clear this up for me before I buy a screwdriver, I would much much appreciate it! Thank you

treepuppy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Hi Kevin okay thank you! I just wanted to make sure it's the P5 (1.2 MM) one and not a smaller one like 1.0 or .08 :) Because the store that sells screwdrivers here in Taipei the packaging only has Chinese on the packaging except for "1.2 mm" and it says "MacBookPro 2014" in English on the package.. but of course I have the newest mid-2015 model.. so wasn't sure whether Apple changed the screw size again or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.