I want to play an amiga game but...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CrackedButter, Oct 30, 2004.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

... I need an emulator, I need a Kickstart Rom (whatever that is) and I have the game.

How do I spend a little portion of my life wasting away trying to get this set up like I am some Linux god?

Thankyou if you have any suggestions.

The game I want to play btw is K240 and that is all i want to play.

2. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

Legally, you can only get a kickstart rom if you own an Amiga.

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

4. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Try the emulator - MacUAE (Ubiquitous Amiga Emulator)...

http://worldserver.oleane.com/ablancha/uae.htm

Yes - I KNOW the Kickstart.ROMs are illegal to own if you haven't purchased them, but if you do a little digging, you can certainly find them on a P2P network like Carracho or Acquisition...

Hey - they're THERE, and I don't ENCOURAGE the procurement, but as long as you're happy that no financial gain is to be made from their use and that you delete them after you've finished playing on an outdated system, then be it on your conscience...

5. scan300 macrumors 6502

Now I would do this just to get my Speedball II up and running again.

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

It's a pity about legacy hardware. I have the UAE Amiga on my Mac but it's a bit glitchy and sometimes I can't control the games. I wish they would legally open up the ROMs and allow the old games to be freeware as it's difficult to nigh on impossible to get hold of those gems any more.

I own an Amiga 500 (first computer) that still works well, but it's locked up in a cupboard most of the time. There is a way of getting the boot ROM off the Amiga itself but I don't fancy the hassle of trying to connect my Amiga (which has not really been used since 1995) to the internet or anything like that. Networking with Mac OS X is probably possible but my Amiga has no hard drive, USB ports, ethernet ports or CD drive and is armed with just a floppy drive, which is one thing my Mac and Dell don't have! Not to mention the non-readable Amiga file format system!

I managed to get my ROM from some site (just google search it), which was legal for me because I own an Amiga. However, since you can no longer buy these old machines, then there is no longer a way of legally purchasing them (apart from old antique stores!) so I don't think there is much harm in nabbing them anyway. Like I say, I wish everyone would open the old systems up, like what has happened with the Sinclair Spectrum, and especially now Commodore has gone bust.

No-one should stop you from playing Amiga classics!!

7. scan300 macrumors 6502

How ironic, back in the late 80's - early 90's we used to emulate Macs on the Amigas and try to access illegal Mac roms.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What's up with Amiga OS 4? I know Amiga lost the rights to distribute the newet PPC-native OS in their latest round of BK.

It's that the OS has been in beta for awhile, but the new PPC HW isn't there anymore -- much less no hint of the PPC970-based chipsets (needed for white box G5 Linux PPCs) from third parties, even though the had press releases on them shortly after the G5 showed up. :(

Plus there is that fragmented Amiga path where there are several competing future directions. :rolleyes:

9. scan300 macrumors 6502

They've been directionless since the Amiga 4000 and OS 3. I haven't followed their fortunes since the early 90's but I do occasionally see a local user group on display at the local PC trade show here in Melbourne.

My 2000 is locked in a cupboard, I need a new monitor for it, and I need to solder a new switch onto my dual roms. But I'm still detemined to resurrect Speedball II.