Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
I encrypted some drives, then decided I didn't need such a long password, so I decrypted them, and now when I try to do step 1 (encrypt) it comes up with this error message:

The target Core Storage volume is already encrypted.

The drives are not encrypted, I can eject and mount them without any need to put the password in again.

I encrypted them using Finder by just right clicking and clicking encrypt.

I need this fixed very quickly.

I also found this thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5042006 - I did Linc Davis's steps, but there's nothing else in the thread afterwards.

Edit: They're all external drives; not internal, not boot drives.

Last edited:

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I encrypted some drives, then decided I didn't need such a long password, so I decrypted them, and now when I try to do step 1 (encrypt) it comes up with this error message:

The drives are not encrypted, I can eject and mount them without any need to put the password in again.

I encrypted them using Finder by just right clicking and clicking encrypt.

I need this fixed very quickly.

I also found this thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5042006 - I did Linc Davis's steps, but there's nothing else in the thread afterwards.

Edit: They're all external drives; not internal, not boot drives.

I find rebooting and reformating the drives helps. Try repartitioning in another format such as fat then retry HFS+ encrypted again. I use disk utility to encrypt.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
I find rebooting and reformating the drives helps. Try repartitioning in another format such as fat then retry HFS+ encrypted again. I use disk utility to encrypt.

It's the morning and I just tried it, one of the drives will encrypt, the rest won't. What was odd was that the drive appeared in a default space on my desktop as if it was a new drive, not in the place where I had put it.

I can't just format the drives since they have a lot of my data on them and there's not enough time to copy that across. At least I've got the most important drive encrypted though.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Quick update, I decided to just leave the hard drives on, one of them ejected itself, then reset its position to the default location on my desktop (Like what happened to the first drive) and now I've managed to encrypt it again.

One more drive to go, and I can do that one while I'm away. Looks like the problem solved itself then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.