I want to rent a laptop!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kevin49093, Mar 17, 2004.

1. kevin49093 macrumors regular

I am in need of a laptop for just a few days (week at the most) so I can create a movie while on an outdoor education field trip with my students. I wanted to get the bulk of the editing done in the evenings of the trip, and was thinking a laptop would be a great help!

Does anyone here know of any good places that rent powerbooks or ibooks to individuals in the Denver area?

Does anyone have a laptop in the Denver area that you would want to donate to a very responsible teacher? (I didn't think so...) :D

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You could purchase one from your local Apple Store. Don't they have a 30 day return policy, or something like that?

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Where do you teach? I know there's a leasing program on the Auraria Campus (CU-Denver, Metro, etc). And some school districts have nice tech people that will lend laptops to teachers (LittletonPS). But unless you want to pay the 10% restocking fee, don't just go out and buy a new one.

I'd lend you my little Sammy (Samuel Beckett is his proper name;) ) but I need/use him every day. Sorry! Best of luck!

4. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

For a 10% re-stocking fee.

5. kevin49093 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

I'm teach in Adams 50 district in Westminster. I would be supprised if any of our tech people had macs...

What do you know about this leasing program?

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I looked into this a while back, maybe 2 years ago when I wanted to evaluate a Mac for a while before taking the plunge. I will look up the info, but if I recall correctly, it was pretty expensive, a couple hundred dollars for a powerbook or so.

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Call used mac stores and ask them if they have any used laptops for sale that they would be intersted in "renting" to a teacher and describe your project,e tc. IN fact, start with the fact that your an educator and why you need your laptop...then ask if they would rent you the laptop for a week. Chances are they will not sell it within that week and they would make a few bucks in the meantime. Give it a try, surely you will find someone willing to do it being in Denver and all, there must be plenty of used mac stores. Most non Apple mac stores sell used computers.

8. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

your best bet may be buying a cheap ibook with edu discount, then forking over the 10% restocking fee. that may be the cheapest method. the edu ibook with 256 ram (which you'll need) is 999. $100 for the restocking may be your cheapest method.

reality

9. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    if he damages the ibook, he will probably not be able to return it. if he rents/leases one, damage might not be his problem.