I want to switch ... snif

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by oSCho, Feb 9, 2004.

1. oSCho macrumors newbie

Hi all!

First of all I would like to say that I love these forums :)

I'm a student and want to make the switch to a Ibook or a PB...

... but it costs tooooo much!

People in USA are so lucky... I could go buy one there it would still cost less. I live in Switzerland.... (French guys are even less lucky...hehe.)

(me wondering why my parents decided to come back in Switerland after living 6 years in Seattle...)

Does anyone have some good excuses I could give my parents ? They told me yesterday, that when my (old) laptop (hp P3 600 Mhz dies) they will discuss buying a new one... --> APPLE :)

long wait...

Are the PB going to have a price drop soon? Should I stop talking about the new laptop for a while...

Oh well ... guess I have to live with my HP ... snif... mac owners are lucky...

2. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Can't you buy one from the Apple store in US? Maybe have a friend buy it for you and ship it. You can get iBook 900's for under $1k.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

*closes the blinds*

What if this HP laptop were to have an "accident"? What if it's bag "cables" were to break while it was moving around... it might fall and break on accident.

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i see a "stumbling-over-power/ethernet-cable" accident in my mind ;)

i wish my computer has an accident...but i dont expect my parents would believe if i told them "my desktop computer flew out of the window"

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Desktops can have accidents easy... :) I was doing some hardware stuff to my PC and hadn't yet screwed in the CD-Rom drive and popped a CD in the drive and pushed the drive tray back in like normal (does anybody use the button to get their drive back in on a PC?) Anyhow the whole drive got pushed back and I guess the metal touched some stuff on the motherboard because there was a loud pop and some smoke and the computer shut off immediately and wouldn't come back on. A few minutes later I tried it again and it came on luckily... but... you get the idea... :)

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    jokes aside, you are int he same boat as many users, just wait till after summer because the last updates were in september, and it seems likely to happen within the next 2 months for new models. maybe price drops.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah virividox is right .. i know a lot of people considering a mac at the moment but are waiting because they bought their PC just 1-2 years ago and can't justify updates so soon...

waiting hurts the techie-mind but its better for the moneybag:rolleyes:

2005: imac(or other desktop mac),ibook ... here i go

SilentPanda: i have still one of these old quantum fireball harddisks around which acted like a 'real' fireball.... seeing those white smoke coming out of the computer was horror ...because i just installed a brand new Motherboard,CPU, graphics card and RAM (all togehter for 500$) ...thanks god i just was that spare HD for testing.... i was like "OMG PLEASE NOOOOOO"
    i would pay a lot for a picture of the face i made...it would be a true classic.....

and btw: these forums rocks... on of the best computer forums i ever saw ... even insulting seems polite here ;-)...perhaps mac-users have less stressfull lives ?...

10. evolu macrumors regular

I think everyone is joking, but, I would NOT recommend having an "accident." The last thing you want is to give your parents an excuse that they can't trust you with an expensive investment like a mac...

You're halfway there with the promise, now it's time to get a little craftier...

How much could you get for your laptop? Maybe if you had a buyer waiting and willing it could speed up the process?

11. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Then accidently accept payment, and then accidently ship it :eek: ;) :p

13. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Well he'd hafta ship it after it was purchased... that negative feedback would come back and bite him when he starts accidentally selling off his parent's car/clothes/house...

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You could always do the same thing I did...

1. Join Apple Developer Connection as a student for $99.
    2. Use your developer hardware discount.
    3. There is no step 3 ;)

I don't know whether the discounts are the same in all countries, but here in NZ it's 10% off consumer products (iMac, iBook), and 15% off pro products (Power Mac, PowerBook).

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Except that should only work (or be used at least) if you're a student and a developer... then only if you'll save a decent deal more than $99.

16. oSCho thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice accident ideas...

Maybe I could sacrify my motorcycle and have an accident with my laptop (unprotected) in my backpack .... no not a good idea ...

Maybe using a app that loads the cpu and the graphic card and make it work for 24h... and having something that would block the fan ... by accident...

I guess people that make the computers put an "emergency stop" if the laptop overheats... what a stupid idea they had...

(I sure am going to use the Apple Developper thing...when I buy one)

17. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

OOO! Install Windows ME on it. THAT will stop it cold!!!

Actually the motorcycle thing may be less painful...

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Example: NZ$2499 Power Mac - 15% Discount = $2124.15

That's a saving of $374.85 (about US$250), so it's worth it :)

19. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Geez... rookies.

one word...

eBay

:D

20. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

my brother and i took all the ram out of our desktop when we wanted a new one and that worked.

how much do you have to spend? if you do have some money, check apple refurbs (i'm not sure if you can do that in europe, though).

i think you could just kill the hp as well. if you do so, be sure to document and put it online. quite comical if i do say so.

21. oSCho thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have that much to spend...and I ind of like my Swiss keyboard.
    A PB would cost me (256 Ram and no airport) 3200 swiss francs = 2.598,94 USD
    -->I'll buy an iBook :)

Or I could:
    - Paint my HP grey
    - Install a Mac OSX theme
    - Scratch the sreen till I get some white spaces
    - Tell all of my friends I paid it 3200.-

... use it in my bath... but not with the power cable.

thx for the ideas !!

22. lind0834 macrumors regular

Nothing like working part-time to make some extra cash to get the stuff you want.

You'll appreciate it a lot more.

Just think how much your parents would be willing to put towards it if you could say.. I raised $500 mowing lawns and flipping burgers.. I can sell my old laptop for $200.. I only need $xxx for an iBook.

23. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Where is he going to find lawns to mow in the Swiss Alps? :D

24. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

25. thecow macrumors 6502

Where are you living in Switzerland? I have been there twice and I have relatives there. Just curious.