I want to try Vonage, but...

Discussion in 'Community' started by hotwire132002, Aug 21, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

...I can't get a local area code. I'm thinking I'll go with Lingo (www.lingo.com) instead, since I'll save about ~$45 per month on my phone bill and we have 3 cell phones if there's a problem. What do you think? Anybody here used Lingo?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I haven't tried either, but, for what it's worth - which might be nothing - when we switched at work from standard teleconferencing to a much cheaper VOIP-based solution (like Vonage, lingo, etc.), the quality was much, much worse. I'd wait to switch until at least someone can reply that the connection quality is good. It might very well be excellent. I just know that the VOIP solution at work is horrible. Of course, many of our conferences are international, and that might be a very big reason as to why.

Just out of curiosity, with three cells, why do you need a local number?

3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I have vonage at my house (upstate NY) and the connection quality is great. If your getting bad voice quality, you can change the automatic settings on the VOIP modem to something higher manually. For 20 bucks a month, you can't beat this deal.

BEN

4. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

No idea... my dad can be weird (he's the one who pays the bills)

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

heres what gives me pause; in the event of a major power outage or other disaster, often plain old telephones will work, while cordless, voip, etc will not.
    while it's not something that happens often, after the outage that knocked out some of the east coast/midwest last fall i would be reluctant to be without a way for my family to contact me for days.
    does anyone else worry about this or is it just me?

6. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I think this just brings up the point that VOIP is currently for people who don't NEED the phone, but have it for convience. I have vonage (as I posted earlier) in a house with 4 guys who go to college. We have the phone as a cheap way to call home (for the 2 guys with pay-as-you-go) and to order pizza. Other wise, there are 4 cell phones in the house that work during power failures no matter what. The VOIP phone just doesn't matter for emergencies for us, we can cover it otherwise. My parents (500 miles away mind you) have 5 phone lines at their house, 2 fax, 2 voice, 1 auto voicemail. They are currently thinking about putting 3 or 4 of those lines to VOIP to save roughly 150 bucks a month. Leave the main number as a POTS line just for emergency.

VOIP is great, but it's not POTS yet.

BEN