Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lizi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Ok, I'm only little (15) and don't really understand technical terms so if you tell me how to do something please tell me in lamens terms!! :D
Ok so basically we have Mac OS 9.2.2 and it's a bit rubbish so we'd like to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.2. or something. How can we do this without losing all our current files? I tried it once before and we lost everything! I wasn't in the good books for quite some time! I've seen you can download some upgrades off the internet but i don't know how safe this is (or if it is legal!!) :confused: If we need the disk, my sister has it for her laptop, would it work using that??
Another problem is that we don't have a lot of memory on our computer (in fact it's saying the hard disk is full! which I'm sure can't be a good thing!) and so if we need lots of memory or disk space to upgrade WHAT DO WE DO?!?!?!?
I really need you're help coz i feel deprived having only 9.2.2 when there are so many better things available on OS X. :( (ie.the sims and itunes and other v. cool stuff!!)
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!
thanks, Lizi

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
It is possible to upgrade and keep your files. If you live in the States it would be best if you waited a week and then went to an Apple store and picked up Mac OS 10.4 (OS X, Tiger). It would cost you but they should be there to help and it would be legal.

It would help if you could tell us your system specifications. If you don't know how maybe you could give us a physical description of the computer so we could narrow the model down.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
OK, first off what with 10.4 (Tiger) just around the corner why is it that you wish to upgrade to 10.2?, even if you're not thinking of purchasing Tiger there is always 10.3

Can you give a describtion of the computer in question (ie. how faster, how much hard disk space, RAM etc)

As for sorting out you're memory space what is it that takes it all up?

If it's not nesseary then it could be removed from the computer to free up storage

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Lizi said:
Ok, I'm only little (15) and don't really understand technical terms so if you tell me how to do something please tell me in lamens terms!! :D
Ok so basically we have Mac OS 9.2.2 and it's a bit rubbish so we'd like to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.2. or something. How can we do this without losing all our current files? I tried it once before and we lost everything! I wasn't in the good books for quite some time! I've seen you can download some upgrades off the internet but i don't know how safe this is (or if it is legal!!) :confused: If we need the disk, my sister has it for her laptop, would it work using that??
Another problem is that we don't have a lot of memory on our computer (in fact it's saying the hard disk is full! which I'm sure can't be a good thing!) and so if we need lots of memory or disk space to upgrade WHAT DO WE DO?!?!?!?
I really need you're help coz i feel deprived having only 9.2.2 when there are so many better things available on OS X. :( (ie.the sims and itunes and other v. cool stuff!!)
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!
thanks, Lizi
Because all of your current applications run in MacOS 9 and most of them will not run natively in MacOS X, you will still need the Classic environment. An upgrade will preserve all of your current files. It will also establish your current installation of MacOS 9 as your Classic environment. You should have 256 MB RAM as a barebones minimum. With 512 MB RAM, you should be comfortable. You can expect your installation of MacOS X to require at least 3 GB HD space. You can survive with a 6 GB HD, but I would recommend at least 10 GB. Needless to say, the more, the better.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Well, what Mac do you have. Lets get that first, then we will see what we can upgrade you too. And if you can take 10.2, then I'm sure you will be able to take 10.4. Also, you are saying the disk is full, then you need to take some stuff off it so that you can install OS X, or think about doing a full install with just OS X. Which apps are we not willing to upgrade yet, or should I ask why you haven't installed OS X sooner, what has held you back. If its that you will loose your files, burn them to CD now, then you have them. Then you can upgrade without worry about loosing them.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Lizi said:
If we need the disk, my sister has it for her laptop, would it work using that??

If by this you mean you have 10.2 disks for your sister's laptop, then no, it's not legal to do this unless your sister has upgraded her laptop to some other version of OS X (10.3 or 10.4).

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
We need a description of your computer before we can tell you what to install and how. If your computer came with OS 9.2.2, I'm guessing it's probably not going to be able to run OS X and The Sims and the like because these things require a lot of RAM and a pretty fast processor. For example, if you computer is an iMac G3 (rounded back, colorful) with a full hard drive, you wouldn't want to install OS X on it. But that's just a guess. If you describe your computer (and tell us what it says when you select "About this computer" from the Apple menu) we can give you a better answer.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Its illegal but its still easy to do. *cough*

I'd buy 10.3 Panther instead, even if it costs you money. You'll have Exposé, and expose makes the world go round. ;) I know how tough money is to come by if your parents aren't throwing money at you, but its worth it and will cost you next to nothing when Tiger comes out. Hell, I'd give those disks to you for free when I get my version of Tiger, but I live quite far away (in Australia) and shipping anything takes ages and costs a tonne.

You can't install anything on your HD unless you have disk space. No, I'm not talking about a spare 1 GB either. You'll probably need more than that so that the HD has space to shuffle some files around during installation if necessary.

I'd make sure you have 5 GB free, and at least a G4 400MHz with 256 MB of RAM for OSX 10.3 Panther.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
From your description (you don't have much HD available, you have been using classic etc) seems you have a pretty old machine.

So, do not buy anything less than 10.3. 10.2 is good, and I know from personal experience that it can run on a 350 MHz g3 with 256 MBytes RAM. But I also know that 10.3 has BIG performance improvements over 10.2, and that it will run much faster on the same hardware. OS X 10.4 is rumored to be even better, but for such an old machine as yours, I don't know if that will happen.

What you really need is a bigger HD, though. No, seriously! Put lots of RAM and disk space in your machine. When the cpu is slow, OS X draws more resources from RAM if needed, and also, I know that OS X takes advantage of your free HD space for its Virtual Memory.

Conclusions:
1)Don not buy Jaguar. Buy panther or Tiger
2)Get a new HD with lots of space (40gbytes or more)
3)Get RAM. You should have at least a total of 512 MBytes or more in order to run properly OS X on an old machine
4)Make someone to teach you the secrets of OS X. Seriously, OS X can be tricky for someone who switches from OS 9...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Linkety to a site that will allow you to tell us what computer you have. If it is an iMac G3 then get prepared for a firmware update, and a vital one, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.