I want to use Safari, but.....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FadeToBlack, Jan 28, 2006.

1. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I've said it before: I don't like how Firefox feels so un-maclike. It also runs slower than Safari. (using Safari now and Safari is even seeming to load pages faster than Firefox) I want to start using Safari again all the time, but there's a couple of things missing:

I would like to be able to force all links to open in tabs, as I don't like having a bunch of different windows open. I prefer to have it all open in tabs. Is there any way to do this in Safari?

I know this one is a longshot, but is there anything like the Session Saver extension for Firefox that saves all your tabs, even when you close the application?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I really reccomend you try camino as its a native cocoa app unlike firefox and it is in my opinion the best looking browser on OSX, it has very good tabbed browsing and has a very fast rendering engine...

As for a session saver i'm not sure if it has one, but its definatly worth the download...

you could also consider Shiira its a very good browser and has come a long way since its early days....

Both these browsers are much better than Firefox...

Hope this helps

SHadow

3. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Thanks for the suggestion, man.

I've tried both Camino and Shiira before, but I may give them another try. For some reason, I really love Safari. I love the RSS integration. Even though I don't use it that much, it's still good to have it around when I wanna check out the news, etc. I may give Camino and Shiira another try, though. Firefox just doesn't run as good as it could on the Mac. It's slow to launch and is just, in general, way slower than it needs to be. It also uses quite a bit of CPU on this bowling game I play on Candystand.com. :cool:

Safari doesn't use nearly as much CPU on the same game.

Still open to more suggestions.

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

If you really love Safari then try out Shiira, as its based on Safari and has RSS intergration, dictionary and all of Safari's other features that you are interested in....

If you ahevnt tried Shiira 1.2 yet you really should as its almost a completely different browser to the previous releases as it has been improved so much...

SHadow

5. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yeah, i had 1.2 the other day and for some reason, it would crash when I'd try to log in to my PayPal account. I may give it another try later on today, though. Gonna wait and see if someone knows of any way to force all links to open in tabs in Safari. I'm not really that worried about the Session Saver thing, though.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

to open a link in another tab just apple+click it and it will open in another window - safari blows all of the other fake browsers out of the window in my opinion.

7. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yeah, I can do that or just right click and select "Open in new tab." For some reason, I just remembered that a few minutes ago.

And yes, I think Safari is definitely the best browser. I really, really love the spellcheck. Even though I'm a pretty good speller, it's nice to be able to catch typos, in case I don't notice them.

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Check out Saft, has both your bases covered and plenty more :)

9. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

YES! That is EXACTLY what I need. Thanks!!

One question, does this plugin make Safari unstable at all? I'm using it now and it's fine, but I was just wondering..

10. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

11. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Actually, it has ad-blocking-check the preferances. It works quite well.

12. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Camino has come A LONG way also since earlier versions........

Renders fast, extremely stable, loaded w/ features, and has many options/ extensions available..........

It has been my primary browser for years, but am now trying Shiira for a bit :)

13. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I like Safari as well, but have to resort to Firefox to view some financial web sites - specifically www.fidelity.co.uk. All the log-on procedures rely on javascript I think, and Safari just doesn't do anything - just sits there. Firefox opens up the log-on pages as extra windows, like it's meant to.
    Does anyone know if there is anything I can do? Maybe Java updates or Safari plug-ins/preference settings??

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Not in my experience and I've been using various versions of Saft for about a year.

The only bummer is you have to wait for the developer to update Saft everytime there is a new version of Safari. He's usually pretty quick (a couple of days max) but once you get used to Saft there's no going back!

Some other cool things you can do:

Ctrl-click the "Search Forums" search box above and add as saft shortcut. In the "shortcut" box add a search prefix, for example "mr". Now you can directly search the MR forums from your Safari address bar by just typing mr then your search term. For example "mr powerbooks next tuesday" will search the MR forums for "powerbooks next tuesday".

15. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Awesome. That sounds good. I'll probably just wait 'til he updates Saft before I update Safari whenever it's updated.

I went ahead and bought Saft a little bit ago. I love it. It has all the features I had in Firefox and then some. Glad to be using Safari again, that's for sure.

That search thing is REALLY cool. I'm gonna have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

16. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

the latest version of shira crashes when you type in passwords, they need to correct this before i ever try it again, thats inexcusable. im not the only one its happened to, its a known fault.

you can make firefox look exactly like safari, the exact same skin. its faster than safari and the bookmark feature in safari blows. imo

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

i love saft :) just hate how it has to be updated whenever a new version of safari's released.

if you like saft, check out http://pimpmysafari.com - they've got loads more stuff you might find handy.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Can you get that to include a close button on each tab and keyboard shorcuts for tab switching?

19. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

here is a screenshot of what my firefox looks like. notice the tabs with the "x" on them as well. the way i have it set up is i just double click on the tab bar and it opens another tab, no need for a tab button per se...

Attached Files:

20. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

AcidSearch

You should really try AcidSearch too. That's a great plug-in!

21. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Thanks for all the suggestions and links, guys!

22. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I woulds use safari but (as far as i know) there is no way to get it to display bookmarks like camino. I started using camino and loved how bookmarks were displayed in the bookmarks bar so i never went back to safari. I agree some things are missing from camino but nothing that keeps me from using ti as my main browser.

Does anyone know of a way to make safari display bookmarks liek camino?

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That covers part of it. But for tab switching, I mean, you press the shortcut, and it switches to the next tab to the left or right. This used to shift-cmd-left/right in Safari, but is now shift-cmd-]/[.

24. Swami macrumors newbie

Problem with Safari

Just bought a Mini yesterday so I am still new to this. I am having a problem using Safari. It seems slower than IE (I still have my PC right here to transfer files) and locks up on certain sites. (officemax this morning). I called Apple and she said to contact the webmaster to tell them of the problem. She also said many people use IE on their Apple instead of Safari. I know that I am going to have problem with Safari and some non commercial sites but am surprised at her suggestion. I emptied the cache, reset Safari. Is there anything people could suggest? I don't want to load anything from Microsoft on this computer unless I am forced.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Try Camino

As suggested above, try Camino (http://www.caminobrowser.org/),

It is an even better browser if you also get camiTools (http://www.nadamac.de/camitools/index.php) you get loads of extras so you can spoof the browser to "pretend" to be Firefox 1.5 Mac (they are basically the same so its fine) which is more supported than Camino...

IE for Mac isn't very good, worse than the windows version and has loads of problems displaying pages properly...