I want to use the iPad as a Wacom Cintiq

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lotusindigo, Mar 30, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I posted this on the CGTalk forums, and although there might be limited interest in this topic on THIS forum, I thought I'd post it anyway.

2. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I also wanted to say that I emailed Jugaari asking if they thought all this would be possible. Here's my email quoted, I'll make sure to update when they reply!

3. Seo
    macrumors regular

Jun 1, 2009
    Cupertino, California
    iPad for 3D Modeling

I've also thought of using the Pogo Sketch, VNC software, and something like PhotoShop on the iPad to make it into a highly portable and cheap tablet. I don't expect at all the features of a full-on tablet, since the software and hardware (iPad itself excluded) is less than 100 bucks. But if you could get it to work fairly well and perform better than some of the cheapo tablets out there, I'd be all for it!

But another idea I've had is for 3D modeling. You could use the touchscreen to manipulate your view, for example pinching to dolly in and out, orbiting with your finger, swiping with two fingers to pan, etc. It's not a very useful idea since I can do the exact same thing, probably even faster with just my mouse and a few keyboard keys, but it's just a thought.

If the Blender community created a full on control app for the iPad, it'd be amazing to use your iPad to access hot keys, position objects, orbit, pan, whatever. If possible, it's another testament to the potential of the app store for the iPad. I can easily imagine myself modeling with the iPad alongside me propped up in its case, tapping away, just like in some science fiction flick! :cool:
  4. 7on
    macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    A better solution would be to use one of the numerous slates with Win7 or get the Modbook from Axiotron.

Even a Intuos 4 would be a better art tool than an iPad.