i want to use the mail app!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coday182, Aug 31, 2006.

1. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

Someone please help me use the mail app for free! I just got my first mac (intel mini) and i LOVE it. I have figured out how to transfer all my files from my pc and do everything else, now i just need to get mail running. I have hotmail but I ain't payin for it so thats out of the question. I also tried to get gmail but I don't have text messaging so that was a no go too. So what are the rest of my options?

2. Frisco macrumors 68020

Stick with Gmail. Send me an email: JohnFrisco@gmail.com and I'll send you an invite. Gmail has instructions on how to set up Mail on their website.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Your ISP doesn't offer mail accounts as part of the package? Odd.

4. coday182 thread starter macrumors regular

coday182

sent. thanks a lot.

5. abbottpc.com macrumors member

You can follow the instructions on this site to get your hotmail in OS X Mail.

6. coday182 thread starter macrumors regular

coday182

It says in the first step that you need hotmail plus, which you have to pay for.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It still works with a few older free Hotmail accounts. Maybe give it a try. :)

8. coday182 thread starter macrumors regular

coday182

Ok i got it 1/2 way figured out. lol. I got a gmail account and I can look at my inbox wiht it but I can't send mail. I get this message...

Use the pop-up menu below to try a different outgoing mail server. All messages will use this server until you quit Mail or change your network settings.

and it only has two items in the pop up menu...
    HTTPMail:Coday182
    HTTPMail:Coday182:Coday182@gmal.com

now what?

9. abbottpc.com macrumors member

It will work with older accounts, but I don't know how far they go back. My wife has 2 hotmail accounts and it works fine. On gmail make sure you set your Outgoing Mail Server port to 587.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If the link didn't resolve your sending-mail problems, you may also have an issue with your ISP. More and more ISPs will only let you send mail using their SMTP server. You can send mail from any SMTP server you have access to using any account. So this doesn't mean you can't send mails from your gmail.com account. It just means you have to change your SMTP server. If this is the case, you need to contact your ISP to tell you what their server's info is....

11. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would agree with Frisco, Gmail is the very best email serivce you can get. I use it for personal emails and keep my @mac for everything else.

12. coday182 thread starter macrumors regular

coday182

Well I tried it at my moms house. She has a differnet ISP. Still has the same problem. So what is the HTTP crap? I downloaded that hotmail plug in but i tried to get rid of it. Maybe thats the problem?