Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
*surprise surprise* and yes i know using wmp wss my FIRST problem haha.

any help is appreciated. i download this file and when it is done downloading i try to open it up and play it wmp. a prompt comes up that says:

"Cannot open the file.Verify that the path and file name are correct and try again."

i am computer illiterate to some degree and this is out of my range. can someone help me play this file? i tried opening it up with vlc and does not play and downloaded mplayer and it does not play.

any help?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
jero said:
*surprise surprise* and yes i know using wmp wss my FIRST problem haha.

any help is appreciated. i download this file and when it is done downloading i try to open it up and play it wmp. a prompt comes up that says:

"Cannot open the file.Verify that the path and file name are correct and try again."

i am computer illiterate to some degree and this is out of my range. can someone help me play this file? i tried opening it up with vlc and does not play and downloaded mplayer and it does not play.

any help?
What is the name of the file? If you don't want to give the full name, then at least tell us the file extension. The extension is the sequence of characters which follow the "." such as .jpg, .html, or .mpeg.

jero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
hey i forgot about my thread. sorry guys, yeah the file is a wmv file. it ends in .wmv

i mean i finish downloading it and it appears on my desktop and i click on it and open it with wmp and it says the little phrase i posted in my first post. i tried vlc and nothing shows up and mplayer i get nothing.

maybe its messed up, but im not entirely convinced that it is.

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
Hmm...

Did the WMV file appear on your desktop right away, or take a while to download? It could be a video stream and not a file. You would want to paste the URL of the stream into Mplayer ("open url") instead of opening the file.

Or the file could just be foobarred! Download some other WMV files to test things out.

jero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
CaptainHaddock said:
Did the WMV file appear on your desktop right away, or take a while to download? It could be a video stream and not a file. You would want to paste the URL of the stream into Mplayer ("open url") instead of opening the file.

Or the file could just be foobarred! Download some other WMV files to test things out.

its foobarred. thanks for the help guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.