i was forced to use wmp and ive come across a prob.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jero, Jun 29, 2004.

1. jero macrumors regular

Nov 28, 2003
    *surprise surprise* and yes i know using wmp wss my FIRST problem haha.

any help is appreciated. i download this file and when it is done downloading i try to open it up and play it wmp. a prompt comes up that says:

"Cannot open the file.Verify that the path and file name are correct and try again."

i am computer illiterate to some degree and this is out of my range. can someone help me play this file? i tried opening it up with vlc and does not play and downloaded mplayer and it does not play.

any help?
  2. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2003
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    What is the name of the file? If you don't want to give the full name, then at least tell us the file extension. The extension is the sequence of characters which follow the "." such as .jpg, .html, or .mpeg.
  4. jero thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 28, 2003
    hey i forgot about my thread. sorry guys, yeah the file is a wmv file. it ends in .wmv

i mean i finish downloading it and it appears on my desktop and i click on it and open it with wmp and it says the little phrase i posted in my first post. i tried vlc and nothing shows up and mplayer i get nothing.

maybe its messed up, but im not entirely convinced that it is.
  5. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Jul 6, 2004
    Nagoya, Japan

Did the WMV file appear on your desktop right away, or take a while to download? It could be a video stream and not a file. You would want to paste the URL of the stream into Mplayer ("open url") instead of opening the file.

Or the file could just be foobarred! Download some other WMV files to test things out.
  6. jero thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 28, 2003
    its foobarred. thanks for the help guys.
  7. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    keep in mind that windows media player 9 is the only app that can play windows media 9 content.