Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wingfaith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Am i the only one that thinks there's something seriously wrong with apple's way of manipulating customers? I've never once doubt Apple's products when it comes to quality and service, but i'm not too sure about the way they do business. Seriously.... 999$ for 2 gbs of ram and 64 gb of ssd??? I thought this is 2011, not to mention that it's still only a 11 inch "entry notebook." It's not even about the whole PC vs MAC price that i'm annoyed about, its just apple's way of marketing and limiting customer's choices. Now i'm forced to get the 11 inch ultimate for 200 more, but what reason? Double the ssd and ram? The regular 11 inch was already overpriced.

Anyways, that's my rant for the day. You can agreed or disagreed, but this is just my opinion.

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
Apple products always have a premium (you can call it rip-off). That's why they are making ******** of money. So don't just buy their product - buy their stock too! :D

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Am i the only one that thinks there's something seriously wrong with apple's way of manipulating customers? I've never once doubt Apple's products when it comes to quality and service, but i'm not too sure about the way they do business. Seriously.... 999$ for 2 gbs of ram and 64 gb of ssd??? I thought this is 2011, not to mention that it's still only a 11 inch "entry notebook." It's not even about the whole PC vs MAC price that i'm annoyed about, its just apple's way of marketing and limiting customer's choices. Now i'm forced to get the 11 inch ultimate for 200 more, but what reason? Double the ssd and ram? The regular 11 inch was already overpriced.

Anyways, that's my rant for the day. You can agreed or disagreed, but this is just my opinion.

If you're just now noticing Apple products tend to be more expensive than their Windows counterparts... I've got a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Yes, $999 is expensive - but it's not a netbook, so don't get confused.

Netbooks are $200-$400 machines which run slow single or dual-core Atom processors (or similar AMD processors) and tend to be frustratingly slow. Many come with Windows 7 Starter Edition, which limits the number of apps that can be opened at the same time and several other cuts and limitations.

They also do not use 64+ GB SSDs - they tend to either offer 16GB of flash storage or a 160GB-range mechanical HD. 128GB of high-speed SSD still ins't exactly cheap these days.

Apple's little machine uses a full-fledged Core i5 processor and the Intel Sandy Bridge platform. It's an 11" machine that performs at least as well as high-end full-sized laptops. It's by no means a netbook, thus its higher price.

Baycity

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
If you're just now noticing Apple products tend to be more expensive than their Windows counterparts... I've got a nice bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Yes, $999 is expensive - but it's not a netbook, so don't get confused.

very well said post! I had a little guilt right after leaving the store and i only purchased the base 13.. but now that i have had it home and used it a couple hours i couldn't be happier. I would do it all over again. Apples products really are great and i look forward to the following years with this thing.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I don't think the Macbook Air is overpriced. Similar windows laptops are more expensive. People believe that Macs are expensive, but they just don't see that the only difference is that on the market they can find cheap windows laptops, that lack the quality, design and features of a top laptop. Look for example how much the latest Samsung laptop costs: 1799€ (in Germany).
The config?
  • Intel® Core™ i5-2537M 1,4 GHz / max. 2,3 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost 3 MB Cache
  • Original Windows® 7 Professional 64 Bit
  • Chipset Intel® HM65
  • 4096 MB RAM
  • Display33,78 cm (13,3"), WXGA SuperBright© Plus Matt LED-Display
  • Display Resolution 1.366 x 768 Pixel (16:9 HD) - That is worse than the Macbook Airs resolution!
  • Intel® HD Graphics 3000
  • 128 GB Flash (SSD)

Here is a link to this Laptop: http://www.samsung.de/de/Privatkund...P900X3A-A01DE/detail.aspx?atab=specifications

Sony has also brought its latest line of thin, lightweight laptops and prices begin from almost 1800€...So much for cheap...

As I said, on the market people find laptops for 500-600$ that are lacking features found in high end laptops. Apple is offering laptops only for the high end of the market and they are cheaper than the competition. The same goes for the iMac or the Mac Pro. Try to configure a similar Workstation on Dell and you will see how much it costs...Then think about what are really getting for the money...

meaty

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
yeah i its way too damn expensive. but i love this laptop, so i guess it cancels it all out.:D

edit: i got the i7 13 also

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.