I was so very very wrong

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    The first time I ever laid hands on OS X was on a friend's eMac running 10.1...

Hated it, cursed it... didn't understand it all.

Dock? New apps? Hidden files? Untouchable system folder... Permissions??

'What was the point?', I asked myself as I hunted down yet another extension conflict that stopped Fontographer from working...

Spent months warning other Mac-using friends that although this was coming... it would never work. We could stay happy on our machines for years to come...

Sure, I wasn't happy with OS9 but I knew my way around and things got done.

Then, 6 months into a new job, I decided I needed a new machine for home.

Bought the best that was available at the time (1.42 dual G4 with superdrive). I wanted it so much but...

...it was one of the first machines that would only boot into OS X.

I'd been lurking here for a while, so by this time, I knew that OS X was a fait accompli -- a done deal, so fine -- whatever... Can't hold back progress etc. Bought a couple of books, threw myself into it.

18 months later...

WTF was I on?

With the fanatical passion of a recently-converted zealot, I have now dragged our studio onto Panther & new G5s with only a handful of teething problems (mostly caused by Quark, bless their little cotton socks). And for the most part, am deeply impressed and grateful for Apple dragging us into the 21st century.

I was pig-headed, ostrich-like, just plain old wrong. And I don't mind admitting it.

Anyone else like to confess their bone-headedness?
    Of course, it's just between you and me...

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I know what you mean. I bought 10.0 when it first came out, and though visually impressive, it was pretty much a buggy beta. Then when 10.1 came out I started getting into the whole OSX thing. I liked it because it worked and it looked nice, but I didn't think it was dramatically better than OS9. Then 10.2 and 10.3 came along, which were big upgrades, and I got more into computers and absolutely loved OSX. Still, I remembered OS9 being a good operating system, though. Then one day I decided to turn on my old computer (still running OS9, hadn't been used for a while), and i was like "omg this operating system is so primitive. Panther is unquestionably the best OS in existence" lol
  3. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    It has been said that change is inevitable... except from a vending machine :D

I made the switch from OS 8 to OS X skipping OS 9... my old machine was not up to the challenge of 9. But when I bought my iMac, I made the jump to OS X. It was a strange world at first, but I never really disliked it or wanted to go back! In fact, I hate it when I have to use Classic for anything. So annoying.
  4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    We stayed with 9 much longer at the Uni for the recording studio machines than I did with my own powerbooks, I hated 10 at first, but as things ironed out at Digidesign and Emagic (at that time, not a part of Apple) it got better, we made the switch to 10 last year right across the 25 studio complex we have, and even our die-hard PC techs are now loving their shiny Powerbooks and G5's.

Apple have created a very stable, very intuitive OS. It's not perfect, but it's an order of magnitude better than anything else in the marketplace. :)
  5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2004
    London, UK
    My first experience with OSX was with version10.2, and most of the bugs had been worked out by then. I'm a person who doesn't like change. I had been using macs for 10 years at that point and didn't like the idea of a completely new OS all of a sudden. It didn't take me long, however, to realize that OSX was far superior to Apple's previous OS's in many ways. It was a necessary change to keep the Mac on top of the heap technologically as we moved into the new century, so I applaud Apple for having the courage to change things for the better.
  6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I went from 8.6 to 10.1 and liked it a lot. My iMac was faster, etc, then my old computer but I had to get used to these weird things like the Library, the two System Folders, etc. Now I don't like to use Classic on it at all, and although I don't mind 8.6 that much I love OS X so much more.
  7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    I started out with Mac OS X Server 1 (not the "Aqua" but "Rhapsody" version of Mac OS X).
    I wanted to use it as a replacement for the ASIP Servers we had at work back then, but as I was a total newbie to UNIX, I ran into alot of trouble.
    Fun to play with at home, but I was far from ready to use it professionally.
    But it was clear that Apple's future OSes were going to be UNIX based.
    After installing the DP 3 and 4 of Mac OS X Client, and seeing Aqua I got more convinced Mac OS X was going in the right direction.
    I bought Public Beta, 10.0, but I was pretty disappointed in the performance. Got pretty frustrated too.... Mac OS 9 wasn't going to updated anymore, but Mac OS X was unusable at the time.
    10.1 was a relief. Office v X came along too.... Getting usuable now... :rolleyes:
    10.2 Was IMHO the first really usuable Mac OS X version. All the apps were there too.

So it took about 4 years before Apple finally had a decent OS.

But 10.3 is gr8. Safari is gr8, and so is iLife '04.
    Now Mac OS X is THE OS to beat! :)
    (by Tiger ;) )
  8. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    my transition was pretty seamless...

2000 started with the OS X Beta (you know the one with the funky central Apple logo on the menu bar) which we ran on studio test machines.

2001 I bought OS X 10.0 when it was released in the March and instantly installed it on my TiBook, although I had to maintain a fully installed version of OS 9 to run specific software app's that didn't run in Classic.

2002 switched fully to OS X with Jaguar as pretty much all the software app's I use came on stream. Although I kept a fully functioning and installed OS 9 just incase I had to work client side and suffered compatibility issues.

2003+ natively OS X.

I had pretty much no issues at all in the transistion from OS 9 and certainly after several years of poor multitasking, crashes and extension conflicts I certainly didn't yearn or pine for OS 9 (or earlier) and didn't miss them in the slightest. :)
  9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    I bought my mac with Jaguar, although I got to work with 9 sometimes it's not the same since I was within (Office) an application and didn't have time to check the system as I do with X ...
  10. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I can't wait to find out what the transition is like going from XP to Tiger... That's my goal!
  11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....I started with the Public Beta and have used every released version since. However it was not until 10.1.x that I really started leaving OS 9 behind and using X full-time. I still have a bootable OS 9 install on my Powerbook but have not booted into it for over 18 months now. My new G5 of course does not boot OS 9 and I have not even bothered to install a Classic system yet - I figure if I ever need to I will at that time....oh yeah!
  12. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    We were very concerned at work over the switch to OS X. As a commecial printer, we rely heavily on our Macs working seamlessly on our network, managing fonts, and generally not crashing very much (Quark not-withstanding).

We dipped our toes in the X water with 10.0, and hated it. Classic sucked, but there wasn't much s/w that was X-native early on, so we used Classic and worked slower. I really had to force people into using OS X, even when we got up to 10.1. With 10.2 and Suitcase X1, we were finally stable again. We have not globally upgraded to 10.3, but will move everyone to Tiger next year.

Since most of our workstations don't need to be powerhouses, we usually are a generation behind, choosing to sink our bugdet in s/w updates and server upgrades. I must admit to feeling a little irritated when presented with the requirement of updating all of our Apple hardware so we could run the OS required to run the latest s/w versions. Adobe and Apple ssure had a good thing going there. We upgraded 12 Macs from various G3's up to 1.25GHz G4 PowerMacs when the first gen G5 came out. We are still running that hardware for the most part, and do not even have a G5 on our floor (out of 23 Mac workstations in all). I just have a G3 450 on my desk (explaining why I usually bring my PB to work).

The only remaining issue we have is that the software for our Heidelberg Topaz and Screen drum scanners is not compatible with X, so those machines are running 9.

I pulled our group into X kicking and screaming, and they would admit to being better for it, but I'm quite sure they didn't feel that way at the time. :rolleyes:
  13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I cursed X when I first used it as slow, unstable, and just unpleasant to use. Of course, that was on a 600 mhz G3 ibook, so it *was* pretty slow... but now I, too, see the error of my ways!
  14. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2003
    I bumped from 7.6 to 10.2 :) With a windows XP Pro machine in between... Panther is by far the best OS in my opinion.
  15. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    Ever since the first 10.0 beta, I've never used OS 9 for anything. Once I saw the fantastic looking GUI and mulitasking and protective memory capabilities of OS X, I was in love :)
  16. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    I bought 10.1 in January 2002, after using OS 9. I was so excited, but then I realized how annoying it was since I had to use classic for everything. So I went back to OS 9 because few of my apps had been ported to OS X. That summer, I went to 10.1 full time and couldn't wait for Jaguar.

OS X pureness for the last 2 years...
  17. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    Unlike most, OSX WAS the reason I switched over to the mac. I'm pretty happy, and continue to convert people.
  18. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    Speaking of converting, how I sell macs to people reminds me of how the little boys of South Park went around trying to sell Blain-tology to the town. "but I am happy" "no you're not" "oh yes I am" "no you're not" "ok put me down for 2 tickets".

Anybody wonder what it is like once you have made it off the bottom floor of the pyramid scheme and get to the upper rankings at apple??
  19. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I'd used OS 8 and 9. They were ok, especially compared to the Win9x, and then even 2000. I hated XP, still do. When 10.0 came out, I saw where it was going, but didn't have much use for it. My Grandafather is a big Mac fan, and he bought it to play with. He liked it, but still used 9 for most stuff. My Sister was so used to 9, she hated the idea of it. She just wanted a new version 9. When she upgraded from a G3 to a dual G4 running 10.2, she started to change her mind. I knew a lot of people like that. 10.1 was ok, and .2 was pretty decent. 10.3 and the G5 were the the things that really got me excited about Apple again. That and the iPod. But Final Cut Pro on a G5 running 10.3 had my mouth watering. 10.4 looks to be even better.
  20. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    10.1 shipped with my Tibook in August 01 but 9.1 was loaded. Since I had made the very long jump from either 7.5 or 8.6 to the Tibook, I wasn't about to experiment. Actually did not ever load 10.1 on the machine until my free Lexmark printer that came with the Tibook began smearing pages and I needed a new printer. (As an aside, my printer at the local copy shop had nightmares because of Lexmark ink -- it would cause his hi speed copier to jump pages and screw up page counts royally). I had always liked hp printers -- having remembered shelling out $630.00 (!!!!!!!!!!!) for their early 310 inkjet printer for the Mac in (I think) 1991 or '90 -- and that thing would still run if I wanted it to. So bought an HP which only works with 10 and bought Panther. My my my. Nice lookin' as well as pretty smooth all the way around. So impressed I got pals with ancient iMac G3 s to put on Panther, too (don't know what they'll do with the iMovie stuff -- haven't thought that far in advance) but it is a great move and I resisted for a long time. If my printer hadn't been such a piece of cr*p, I would have probably been content with 9 forever.

On another note, I don't know if this is Panther (oh, I've updated to 10.3.5) or Word, but some of my scrolling and moving around in Word has actually SLOWED DOWN since I got Panther. This is weird because I upped my ram from 384 to 768mbs and swapped the old 10gig 4200 for a 40gig 5400 hd. This is my only complaint so far about 10 and I am not sure if it is the OS or Word.