I was using my MBP and everything froze.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bocheememon, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Bocheememon macrumors regular

Bocheememon

This is most unusual.

First-Specs of Computer.

2.16 MBP
    2GB Ram
    100GB 5400 rpm HD

OS X Tiger 10.4.7

I was downloading a trailer from ign.com, reading a translated script, had Mail open, and suddenly my mouse cursor disappears! Not only that, but I couldn't put the machine to sleep. I closed the computer to see if it would sleep without using the power button. It just stayed on in a frozen state!

I have my firewall on and all sharing options disabled.

Was my computer hacked into and frozen or was it just a fluke? Just reading a script online and downloading a trailer from a known site couldn't just freeze things?

When I did cold-boot my computer, I noticed the trailer finished downloading via Safari. I didn't see the message where it asks me to continue downloading the item. Perhaps Safari just crashed my computer?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yes, that is definately unusual. How long has it been since your Mac froze?

3. ironic23 macrumors 6502

I had my MBP (2.0ghz, 1.5gb apple ram and 256mb vram) freeze on me once yesterday too! It was so unusual as it's never hung before. I had to force it to shut down and when i restarted it, everything was ok (used disk utility to verify the disk, etc.). It was scary.

4. Bocheememon thread starter macrumors regular

Bocheememon

5. Bocheememon thread starter macrumors regular

Bocheememon

Hmm.

I can't remember it freezing in this way before. It has locked up a few times, but that was because of running Rosetta PPC apps. They were minor crashes though.

ironic: You too? I wonder what triggers it?

6. ironic23 macrumors 6502

No idea mate. I was just browsing the internet and my cursor didn't move when i touched the trackpad. Then i saw that the clock had stopped. It was scary.. I'm just lucky i wasn't doing anything important then...

7. Bocheememon thread starter macrumors regular

Bocheememon

I spose this shall be a faded memory in the adventures of Crashing: The Reboot.

I'll keep an eye out if this happens again. My computer is being sent in to have the processor whine repaired. I hope that gets fixed! I'll mention this to them so they can keep a note of it.

8. ironic23 macrumors 6502

i would send mine in but the whine isnt bad to the extent that i cant bear with it. but i just might when i get home to where my imac is. let me know whether you get your things solved with the send-in. Thanks!