I was wondering... (about the Wii)

Discussion in 'Games' started by sam10685, Sep 10, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

has it been said if you'll be able to use any SD card in the Wii or just first party ones that they make?

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

The specs on Play.com (a UK store) state "A bay for an SD memory card…", so I'm guessing yes. Nintendo aren't Sony, they don't need to thrust inferior technology on people at innaproriate times (AKA the memory stick). :D

They'll probably sell Nintendo branded ones to make life easier for people who don't know SD from CIA, but regular SD will probably be cheaper.

3. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Yeah from what I know it is a standard SD memory card, which is awesome beause it is a format that is pretty standardized and easy to find now

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's also a good chance you'll be able to hook up any USB storage device as well, so a flash drive, iPod, USB HDD, etc would work as well. I see 64mb flash drives at the checkout lane of Staples for $7 all the time. :p

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I wonder if it'd be able to play games from the SD (homebrew outa the package?) :)

6. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

That would be sweet!

7. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

And if I recall properly the Wii will have slots for GCN memory cards. So that may even be the cheapest route, although I don't know prices of SD cards because I do not have one.

Can't wait for September 14th!

8. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

some Nintendo guy said that you'll be able to use a ton of different forms of memory.

9. Moria macrumors regular

I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if you could only use Nintendo ones. There's no reason why you can't. Nintendo aren't forcing you to use their WiFi connector, so they wont force you to use their SD card.

They've also said you might be able to use an external USB harddrive.

10. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Half-and-half

IGN.com is leaning towards 3rd-party SD cards being supported, but notes that the jury's still out - and that support for said cards may not be included at launch.

See towards the bottom - http://wii.ign.com/mail/2006-09-05.html

11. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I love checkout stand impulse buys! :p

You see the strangest things on those shelves.

A lot of people complain that the Wii won't have an internal HD, but I say if it's not needed then it's not needed. SD is a great alternative, especially when SD cards have a ton of capacity nowadays.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. I bought an 1gb SD card for £20 a month ago. That is going to be more than necessary for what I'll be downloading (few virtual console games) and save files. I suppose the benefit of a larger HDD is for demo downloading, which will be nice. Though I plan on buying an extra HDD and caddy for my Wii.

External USB casing and 250gb HDD - £70
    Xbox 360 HDD at 20gb - £70

someone tell me the logic here?

13. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

dude... all next week will be awesome!... Apple is havin a thing on the 12th, Nintendo is having a thing the 14th and they are also having two things on the 15th in Europe and Japan and it'll be my little brother's sweet 16 so the booze will be on the house! (i hope)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Drinking at 16 is pretty stupid. At least wait until your brain stops growing before you start cutting it down.

15. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

he won't be drinking. he hates the stuff. i'm just being optimistic and saying there will be coolers for the older people.

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hehe, ya, especially around the Wii launch time (holiday shopping season) there will be SD cards and USB drives on sale everywhere as stocking stuffer stype gifts. I'm hoping to snag a bunch of 512mb USB drive (assuming it works with the Wii - I prefer those simply for versatility compared to SD) for <$10 this holiday season. Perfect gifts for people (pre-load them with some photos and holiday music, maybe a little iPhoto slideshow deal) plus doubling up the Wii's internal memory should be quite adequate for some time.

I think Nintendo might try to move away from making butt-loads (that's such a weird phrase - is it used in other countries or is it an American thing) of cash on accesories/non-system hardware and focus instead on selling Virtual Console games, both classic and new, at obscene profits. Classics are nearly pure profit, and there's a lot of oppertunity for simple games like Snood to make money on the Virtual Console at $20.

17. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, that's what I want in my stocking... a large SD card.

mrgreen, the origin of butt-load.

I came across this the other day when looking up the Smoot from Google Earth. Interesting stuff.

Apparently the unit for coolness is the "MegaFonzie".

18. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

ROFL. You win at the internet today.