I wasn't ripped off, was I?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by psycoswimmer, Nov 25, 2006.

1. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I ordered an Airport Express on Black Friday for $95 with tax. Today in some magazines I saw a Linksys Wireless-G router for $9.99 after tons of rebates. Should I be mad, or just be happy that I will have something great and by Apple shortly?

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

3. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Thanks. :p That helps, really.

And does anyone else know if the stand for the AP Express (I think it's by Griffin?) is worth the money? It's supposed to make the signal better.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

From what I can tell the stand is just to give you some better placement and extension cord length.

It might give you better reception since you won't be sticking it behind a desk to plug it in.

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I hear linksys and d-link routers are having issues with all new intel macs especially ones with the new 802.11n cards. So with Airport you are somewhat guaranteed full compatibility and you get to stream music.

However, i also hear Airport Expresses usually die after two years. YMMV.

6. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Okay then I think it'll be good for me to get, because most likely my ap express will be under a granite counter top that will be my desk. :D

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah something dense like that would reduce the transmission range.

8. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

YMMV = what? :eek:

Yes, I've seen that on the reviews on Apple's site. Maybe the new one's are of better quality; the one's that are breaking after 2 years have to be from 2004.

And yes, compatibility will be great because I convinced my parents with non-stop talking for 30 min to let me order it on Black Friday. If it doesn't work, they'll be really mad.

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Sorry. YMMV = Your Milage May Vary.

10. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Very true. :D

11. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Wait...is your signature correct, you're using an airport express with a windows xp system?

if that's the case, hate to say it, the $20 routers all over the place on black friday might have been the better bet.

12. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Well, no. :D Right now, my winXP is the wired connection.

When I get my iMac after x-mas it'll be wireless, so I do need a router. And also, I'll be getting a Nintendo Wii and I already have a DS Lite. Also, the WinXP will then be thrown in the basement and if it's really needed, I'll set up wireless printing.

13. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I have a MBP C2D using a linksys router, with no problems at all. Not sure where you heard that linksys are having compatability problems?

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

On macrumors AND Apple support discussion board.

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Linksys had a notorious reputation before being acquired. I use some of their wireless stuff when setting up small job-sites. They have been relatively easy to configure and have operated dependably. Their tech support is average, with an emphasis on the home user. They make no bones about it and do not pretend to be otherwise. I appreciate that.

My prosumer choice is Netgear. I lost one hub fan in 10 years (the hub still works). That has been it. Their tech support is above average-good. For difficult issues, you can get escalated to a very high-level, network savvy group of network engineers.

I have a short and disappointing association with D-Link. When they were fairly young in the industry, I tried a few of their products. Their QC was terrible and their customer support, worse. I discontinued buying their products before wireless became of age. They have stayed in business, so maybe they finally got it right? But, I have heard others speak of D-Link issues, which has not inspired me to try their products again.

16. hana macrumors regular

The Griffin Airbase?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airbase/

Yes, it is worth the money (although you can get it for less than this manufacturer's site price) for me. I use one Airport Express in different locations in an house with old well used two pronged electrical outlets. The Airport Express use to fall out of a couple of outlets I used. (heavy and gravity) With the Airbase, there's no problems with that.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To add to the above, I will not use any D-Link stuff any more.

Netgear and Linksys are good. Personally like the Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

Also like the Airport Express. Works well. Like the stereo/remote speakers function.

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

WRT54G is cheap and works great. The only problem Macwise would be short range with Macbook Pros for a start (not the fault of the Linksys).

But Airport has Airtunes which is cool and the printer connection if that's useful.

19. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

sorta, kinda, maybe related...

I have an actiontec router/dsl modem that Qwest distributes. I have notice on my macs that occasionally it gets really slow (bringing up pages) and if I turn it off and then back on... it's back to fast again... I does not seem to affect my Windows machines like that. Any ideas? Your help is appreciated

20. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Which is why a Mac/PC argument is pretty much invalid. In my apartment, since July of 2004, I've had an Airport Express, an HP Photosmart, and stereo receiver. Everything has gone perfectly with internet, printing, and AirTunes. The computers used have ranged from Dell Laptops, HP towers with Linksys cards, and even a few PowerBooks and iMacs. When you are buying the AE, you are getting it for the AirTunes and printing in a cute little package.

21. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

definitely agree with that. if you're going to be using the AE for airtunes and printing capabilities as well, then it's worth it. there are still cheaper alternatives, but not by much.. and i'd trust apple much more.

22. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

First off, I had an old Linksys B Wifi Router, and it worked great until I bricked it with a firmware update.

Bought a new one, and it sucked so bad! I've never touched a Linksys since. I use Netgear now and it works great.

23. 0010101 macrumors regular

I have a Belkin wireless router I bought like.. I dunno.. 3 years ago for $49 and it has worked flawlessly with any and all wireless machines i've tried to use with it.. including two iBooks with AirPort and my G4 tower w/ AirPort card.

It also features 4 10/100 plugs in the back for 'hard wiring' computers that don't have a wireless card in them, which i've taken advantage of on more than one occasion.

It isn't the most elegant thing to look at, but it runs 24/7 365 and hasn't given me a minutes trouble.. and as I type this, it's sitting on the floor with a bunch of crap that fell off my desk laying on top of it.

I had a Linksys before this one, and it sucked. Had to constantly restart it. Thats going back 4 years tho.. they might have improved by now, or maybe I just got a bad one.

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Now you're talking. ;)

25. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

I'm sort of having problems with my CD MBP and linksys.