I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Apropos of absolutely nothing, it's nice to see The Prisoner getting some new recognition.

I didn't even know BBC America was airing it -- I don't have that tier of cable TV -- but the DVD set is definitely on my "want" list.

If you've never seen this show, you owe it to yourself. Often called the best show ever to air on TV, it's intelligent, suspenseful, completely incapable of being categorized, and its only rival for sheer weirdness is perhaps Twin Peaks.

Props to BBC America for the reruns.

Be seeing you.

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Where am I?

[​IMG]
    In the Village

I love Portmeirion where the Prisoner was filmed, I try to go there once a year & was on holiday there only a few weeks ago! I even got marred there. :D

3. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Ooh! Just browsing through the thread titles, I immediately knew what THIS thread was about... :D Awesome! The Prisoner is one of my all-time favorite series, always glad to see it get more airtime!

Now if they'd only broadcast Red Dwarf...

Be seeing you! :cool:

5. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

I want one of those white rubber bubbles that chased number 6 around The Village.

I think I was 12 when I first saw the series. I never quite got over it.

6. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

You can get R1 Red Dwaf DVD on Amazon.com

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Thanks, actually I already have Series I-IV on DVD (and eagerly awaiting V & VI in early 2005), but still, I haven't seen it on local TV in years!

Ah yes, Rover!

Supervisor: "Orange Alert. Orange Alert." :D

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The show came on before my time, but my Dad's told me a little about it (he was a fan). I don't get BBC America either, so I hope some other cable channel gets the rights to run it some day.

9. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Also the car he drives into the tunnel in the intro. One of these I believe ...

Edit: Sorry, closer to this one with the guard/fender wrapping around the front wheel.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The series had a mysterious plot that unfolded as the series went on, long before Twin Peaks had everyone guessing who killed Laura Palmer. The recent Lost TV show is just the latest of this type of evolving story.

I've always wanted to go to Wales and see the village where it was filmed.

Here's The Prisoner site I like: www.the-prisoner-6.freeserve.co.uk

Ron Grainer's theme song is wonderful. The MIDI version is pretty bad, but at least it's free/legal.

And for you conspiracy fans, please notice that THERE IS NO MACRUMORS MEMBER NUMBER SIX!!

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was about the same age, and I was flipping channels, and the first thing I saw was that bubble chasing down Patrick McGoohan...and I remember thinking, what the heck is THIS?

I stayed tuned and was intrigued. Been a fan ever since.

12. Viv macrumors regular

Damn but I must be getting old:) I remember watching it from the first show till the last then the rerun and then got the DVD box set too, how sad am I:)

Portmeirion were it was filmed is an italinate village built by an architect Clough Williams-Ellis to show that you could build something in a beautiful place and improve it, a lot of the buildings are built to scale to enhance the view.

The dome were number 2 was is an example as the facade is less then 6 feet high when you stand next to it, but from lower down in the village the building looks huge, number 6s apartment is real, and is there, and is as per the the prisoner show.

The whole village is run as an Hotel and you can stay in the main part of the hotel or in "service rooms" the main house is near the concrete boat at the lowest part of the village, were the old people played chess!

Service rooms are dotted around the village, I stayed in "Anchor" this is the big stable block near the lawn were the helicopter landed.

I did a romantic weekend there, it was called a Champagne break, ran from Friday to Monday morning.

I managed to keep it a secret were we were going right up to the moment we drove in to the village:) this was in 1990 and the cost was £400, the food was excellent, silver service dress for dinner type of thing.

Eating breakfast watching the sun rise over the sands of the bay was magical, you can also see all the places were different shows were filmed by just walking around the nature paths.

When I payed the bill I thought it was the cheapest and best weekend away I had ever had:) I lived off the brownie points I earned for years afterwards:)

They are on the web at http://www.portmeirion-village.com/

Take my advice book a holiday!

Viv

Attached Files:

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I would say the same but I have a bank account and credit cards. :(

14. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Interesting! I would have been more intrigued, though, if there was no number SEVEN, like in the Prisoner (as you may or may not know, the number 7 never appears in the entire series).

EDIT: Wait a sec! There's no MR member numbers 4, 5, 7, or 8 either! :p

15. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

There is no Rule Number Seven. (extremely obscure and silly reference, never mind). :D

I never got the chance to see The Prisoner, though I've heard nothing but good things about it; I hang out with that type of people though.

Didja hear they're supposedly making a Red Dwarf movie? Don't remember where I heard it, and don't have many details, but there you go. Apparently they've managed to sign the entire cast, though there's some confusion over which Holly will end up in the movie.

16. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hm, at first I thought that was a reference to Monty Python's Australian Bruces, but they mentioned "There is NO... Rule Six!" (Hey! Another Prisoner conspiracy! :p )

You definitely need to see the Prisoner, dude!

Yeah, I've heard about the Red Dwarf movie, but it seems to have been been put off for a long time (check out Red Dwarf's site, the movie info page hasn't been updated since like 2001.) I can't imagine they wouldn't be casting BOTH Hollys for at least some parts... tho in my opinion Norman Lovett should be the main Holly, since he began and ended the 8 series...