I wish Apple would fix iTunes!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NicP, Mar 29, 2006.

1. NicP macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    So dont get me wrong itunes is a decent program but for a company with a reputation of attention to detail and quality iTunes really dosent make the cut.

For a start my biggest concern with iTunes is its lack of gapless support (this also applies to the ipod). It is impossible to listen to an album the way the artist intended it (gapless between tracks) unless you rip to one long track (no setting crossfade to 0 does NOT work). The most obvious solution is to rip as one long file but still have different entries in itunes for each track within that file. Are you listening Apple?

Secondly i'm appauled with the video support, apple can do a much better job with video in iTunes. Why on earth is there still "library" and "videos" selectors? surely these should be changed to Audio and Video. iTunes also fails to recognise .avi files, the workaround is to use quicktime to create a link file and then import the link file into iTunes, why should i have to do this? Once there are videos in iTunes there are some serious organisation limitations, for example why cant i set tags such as season, and episode number for videos? If you open frontrows video area and brows the "movies" section you get all the files in the movies folder of your home directory. Why apple didnt just improve the video section of iTunes and read the data from there is beyond me? While on the topic of frontrow if you browse to podcasts in the audio section video podcasts show up too!

The podcasts section of iTunes is really good, however i would like to be able to set the option to auto download podcasts or not on a per podcast basis. I would also like the option NOT to include podcasts in my library.

The radio section is very average, at the moment i don't use it at all i have a playlist that has radio stations in it. There really should be an option to rate stations so that you can sort by rating rather than browsing through heaps of stations you never listen too, also adding your own stations in there would be rather nice.

Overall iTunes is ok, the gapless problem really spoils my music (and no doubt anyone else who listens to dj mixed music or classical compositions). The video issuses spoil my dream of buying a mac mini for the living room for frontrow because i'm reluctant to rip all my dvds and try organising them in iTunes in its current state. I would also like to see some more openness to the system, open up DAAP so more companies start using the technology (imagine frontrow like software running on a gaming console!), and more support for other audio/video formats.

Your thoughts?
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Apple do have partial support for the gapless problem, in the form of the chapter tool they released for podcasters. That isn't something you could easily use right now to split up an album, but at least the underlying support is there. Perhaps the next iTunes release (or failing that, a third party) will flesh out the implementation.
  3. DCapple macrumors regular

Feb 28, 2006
    Actually im pretty happy with iTunes and of course it goes well with my iPod!
    although i agree with the video issue that they should minimize the choices into play audio or video..:)
  4. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Well, my Library contains both all my audio AND and all my video files...
  5. manosira macrumors member

Jun 22, 2004
    SOMA - S.F. - Cali
    My biggest issue with iTunes is not being able to have videos play automatically one right after another like you do with songs. So if i have a music video list of like 10 songs I have to click play on each one seperately or if it does play it won't go full screen after the first one.

Anyone else know how to fix this?
  6. NicP thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    You can use the podcasting tool to create one long file with chapters, there are some limitations:

- Track names show up in iTunes, but not on iPod
    - No CD-TEXT
    - No Apple Lossless support

and the tracks dont show up seperatly in itunes of course

I thought the same thing, wow the code is there perhaps they will implement true gapless soon. Unfortunatly that was when itunes was still at version 4, we are now up to version 6!
  7. NicP thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    I realise this, it just seams very awkward the way its set out at the moment, you have library where you can choose music audiobook podcasts and videos, and then there is videos where you can choose movies music videos and tv shows. It would make more sense to me to seperate the video from the library and call it audio.

The bigger issue is really in the management of videos. You can only set the tv show/movie/music video tag one file at a time (you cant select many tv shows and change them all at once for example). There are no options to tag things like Season or episode number. Video feels very "tacked on" which i guess it is in a sense, but i thought apple should be able to do much better, especially given that they are offering video content on iTMS and that they have Frontrow specifically for controlling audio and video from a remote.