I wish texts would re-set to the list

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brudog68, Nov 6, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

This may be a tired old complaint...but I sure wish when you finished texting and close the app, that the next time you open it you saw the list instead of the last conversation being open(instead of having to back out each time)...sure would help prevent accidentally texting your boss what youre saying to your wife etc...lol

My old Blackberry did this and have missed this

2. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Lol you just press the back button or look at who you're texting...

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

I know I know, lol...but

4. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

it takes like 1 second, maybe not even that

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I know...its not really the inconvenience or time...but I have made the mistake a few times and a customer of mine did it to me today...

ie. customer was texting me today, then sent a message to his wife which i received (he actually called me pretty lady, lol)...he had obviously been texting her prior, then when he opened his message app, just assumed he was still talking to her and forgot he had messaged me in the interim...had it returned to the list after closing, you have no choice but to pick who its intended for...no need to keep the individual conversation open and back out of it, the steps would be the same, just less room for error...just a petty gripe,lol

6. macrumors member

to go alone with text message discussions, anyway to set it to time stamp each message? maybe i just dont see it in the settings. but its my first iphone and kinda annoying that it does not time stamp each one..unless there is a setting i'm missing?

7. macrumors 6502

iOS decides to timestamp at random. The only way to get every message timestamped is to jailbreak and install this feature.

8. macrumors 6502

I've done it a few times. Accidentally texting the wrong person. It's bad too when you text a girl something that was meant for someone else.

9. macrumors 68020

sviato

That's weird because my Messages app does the opposite (although I want it to do what yours does). If close the app after reading/writing a text and then reopen the app, it automatically goes back to the list of all texts :confused:

10. macrumors newbie

One of the features I loved and miss while jailbroken on the iPhone 4. (BiteSms)

11. macrumors 68020

It isn't random. iOS timestamps the message closest to the "quarters", so at 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, and on the hour. It doesn't stamp anything after that until it is the next quarter.

12. macrumors regular

Agree w you. It would be a good item in message app settings

13. macrumors member

I've done this several times before. Texting the ex-wife "I love you", when I meant to text my wife is a bit awkward.

14. macrumors 6502a

This doesn't help when driving.

Remember, do not drive & text kids. :cool:

15. macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

That's because you have more than 1 unread message. What the OP explained only happens if you have that ONE unread text.

16. macrumors 604

cynics

Its not on the quarters. I'm looking at a text labeled at 6:38....

I think it waits for 10-15 minutes of inactivity the will time stamp it again...

17. macrumors demi-god

Arelunde

I hadn't noticed this until you mentioned it, but I've accidentally texted the wrong person as well. I guess I have to train myself to back out of the conversation before hitting the home button. On the other hand, it would be a pain to have to re-open the conversation every time a new message comes in.

Another thing I do without thinking (and it's not good) ... I forget to check if a text is sent to multiple people. THAT can be majorly *awkward*

18. macrumors 68020

That's what I mean though, it stamps the closest to the quarters, and then waits at least 15 minutes before looking to stamp another message.

19. macrumors 604

cynics

Oh gotcha. Thought you meant it would actually round the time to the nearest quarter...lol

20. macrumors 68020

Oh no lol. Now THAT would be annoying. :p

21. macrumors 68020

sviato

Ah, this is true. I have like 90 unread :rolleyes:

OP, have someone random text you and never read it and just let it sit at the bottom of your messages then

22. macrumors regular

bluedukies8

I wish when you are scrolling through previous texts sent from someone....and then they text you again.....that it didn't jump you all the way down to that message. Pain in the butt to have to scroll back up to read to only have them do it again.

23. macrumors 604

wordoflife

You need 2 unread texts from separate people because if its just 1 unread, it'll automatically open to that convo :)

24. macrumors member

Sounds like an interesting problem. What would be a reasonable amount of time before you'd expect the app to jump out of the convo and back to the list? 5 minutes? an hour?

25. macrumors regular

But one day he'll open Messages by accident and the message will open and bam:: back to where he started :rolleyes:

I also hate this feature,,have texted way too many ppl the wrong thing. It gets frustrating :/