I Wish There Were Still iMac G4s

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iHatePCs, Mar 6, 2005.

1. iHatePCs macrumors member

iHatePCs

Does anyone know if its possible to purchase a new iMac G4 anymore from any website? It probably sounds dumb cause I already have an iMac G5, but my parents said they'll get me a new computer for my 2nd semester report card if I get on the honor roll again. I just like the way the G4 looks and would like to use it for virtual pc mainly. Any ideas? Thanks :)

2. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

eBay or look on the on-line Apple store under "certified". I saw some there a few weeks back... Good Luck!

3. gMac macrumors member

Funny, when I read this thread, the banner ad at the bottom was for Powermax and it even featured a G4 iMac in it's graphic. As much as I would like to upgrade my G4 800 iMac to a G5, I know I would miss the flexibility of that arm. I find myself constantly raising/lowering and pivoting the display to accommodate my lousy posture. If and when you get a G4 iMac I would be interested in your thoughts on the ergonomics of both machines (performance is a no-brainer.)

Good luck with your grades!

gMac.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

If they are going to get you a new computer why would you want to get a new iMac G4. I would ask for an iBook of a Powerbook if I were you.

jon

5. bksmith macrumors newbie

I just purchased an imac G4 17" from the Apple Special Deals store Friday morning for $1,099. There was a 20" imac this morning for $1,399.

Check the Apple Special Deals every morning. The imac G4's go fast, so you need to jump on it right away.

6. iHatePCs thread starter macrumors member

iHatePCs

I already have a iBook, and an iMac G5, but I just really really really like the design of the iMac G4

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No surprise, Google Ads selects the ads based on key words found in the page.

8. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

So when I type the word Dell, or Pentium 4, lets see if the ads pick that up. Cause I can't wait to pick up my Dell! (i'm kidding of course)

9. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok, so if you just want it for VPC (which is great!!) why not just get a dell or something...if the G5 is your main comp, why not get one that will acutally make windows worK?

10. iHatePCs thread starter macrumors member

iHatePCs

I don't know, I just really like the design of the iMac G4... I don't care for the way Dells look.

11. appleupnorth macrumors newbie

I wanted to mention that I just saw a few here at the Apple Store in Bloomington, MN - one was a display, and one was still new in the box.

Maybe check to see if a local vendor has one as well?

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i dunno if you yanks, i dont know if you are american either, have PC World but ive seen a couple of iMac G4's there.

13. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

You could always buy a Vesa Mount or one of these http://www.ineck.com

14. appleupnorth macrumors newbie

15. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

I agree. That design is the first Mac to really catch my eye. It's design was so innovative. It's a shame they didn't keep it. The new design is nice but it doesn't make me want to run out and buy one. It's just nice.

16. newwavedave macrumors member

newwavedave

I love using VPC because of the fact that if Winblows contracts a nasty virus, you can easily just erase the whole PC and replace it with a new one. Besides, who wants a piece-o-crap dell lying around their home.

17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Three computers? Why don't you donate one to someone who actually needs it.

18. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I never got gifts like that for getting good grades. I just got "keep up the good work". You already have a better set up then most people on this site and it doesn't sound like you are that old. Since you already have two decent computers, it would be smarter to invest the money or save it for something that really matters (car, college & loans).

19. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Got to agree with wwooden. Since you already have two computers (iBook and iMac G5), consider yourself VERY fortunate. Although the iMac G5 is well designed, I do agree that the iMac G4 is a little more "sexier" or more futuristic. Because of that I don't think you should use this gift for good merit just to get a computer because it looks nice. I know it's tempting since its "free" for you, but you really don't NEED it. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm assuming high school age so ~15-17? I would think for the future and save up for something you will need later on in life. If you did get something else other than the iMac G4, IMHO, it would appear to me that you're growing and maturing.

Nonetheless, congratulations on the good grades. Keep up the good work :)

20. iRez macrumors member

I don't think he needs a lecture or anything, but I also don't see why he needs a third computer to run VPC. Who's to say that this computer isn't an investment for the career path he's choosing. I prefer the G4 design over the G5, but if it were me making this purchase, I'd sell the iBook and use that money and the money you'd get from your parents to buy a suped up 15" PB, but hey that's what I would do. Good goin on the grades and have fun making the decision.

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Why not just get a Mac mini with a 20" Apple Display...? That's essentially a G4 iMac, not designwise, I give you, but more powerful (and you need power (and RAM) to run VPC)... ;)

You can even (with the screen spanning hack) use the screen as a second display for your iMac G5 and iBook...

22. Palomino macrumors member

The G4 iMac is no speed machine, and runnig Virtual PC on it does nothing to help this already unfavourable situation. If you are going to be using Win based software you'd be better off buying an Athlon 64 bassed machine with a stylish Apple LCD screen. You can now get SLi MoBo's and Graphics card systems for under $1000USD, this could alos double as a gaming machine (if your into that kind of thing.)

Jordan

23. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I really like the way the screen is on the iMac G4, but I wouldn't trade the G5 for one any day.

24. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I love the design of my iMac G4 800, but it is a total dog for running VPC. We ended up with a Vaio laptop just so my wife could run her PC apps. You are better off, as others have said, going with a PC to run your Windows programs. Just don't use it for the web. ;)