I wish you could use a mouse with Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by JimKirk, Mar 23, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Since the Ipad simulator works with a mouse I think the OS would support it.

It will just be weird having the keyboard and having touch the screen.

2. macrumors 601

eawmp1

In 1984, I felt weird using a mouse after interfacing with a computer via keyboard. Human-computer interfacing is evolving. You'll do fine.

3. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You might think, but you'd be wrong. The OS that the Simulator runs is a simulated OS; it's not the same thing. Mouse events are converted to touch events. Rotations triggered via the Hardware menu are converted to rotation events. Etc. They don't even run the same compiled code (x86 vs. arm).

4. macrumors member

5. macrumors 6502a

Alchematron

Been there done that!

6. macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

hmmm i actually prefer using my macbook pro touchpad over my magic mouse.

7. macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

What the Magic Mouse should have been:
    http://blog.boastr.net/

I love mine infinitely now. :) :cool:

8. yyy
    macrumors regular

And wouldn't it be weird to use a keyboard and mouse with a tablet? The external keyboard is for people who need to type a long article once in a while so the lack of a mouse wouldn't be an issue. If you think you'll have to type too often you should consider a laptop instead.

9. macrumors 68020

I agree with the OP. The keyboard dock looks as if you could break it if you tapped the iPad a little too energetically. It's one thing nice about the android OS that if you hook up a mouse, a mouse arrow appears on the screen and is functional.

10. r0k
    macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree. I'd like to be able to use the iPad with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse in "laptop mode" if I choose to. Then I'd be able to grab the screen, run out the door and have a tablet as soon as I got out of range of the bt mouse and keyboard or switched them off using some control shown on the touchscreen. I would hate to think that we will have to resort to jailbreaking to get basic stuff like an external mouse to work. :eek:

11. macrumors 601

macduke

Haha, have you actually tried using a mouse on the iPad simulator? Trust me, if you had, you'd not want to use a mouse with this device. Apple would have to completely strip out touch events and convert to a different mode when its plugged in. Things like selecting text, saving images flicking through things, trying to zoom with a pinch, etc become really weird when you use a mouse. Its not very intuitive at all and actually kind of a pain.

12. macrumors 6502a

I've used a mouse with the iPhone before. If you jailbreak it and put VNC server on it, you can use a mouse and you could do almost everything. You couldn't pinch zoom though, so you'd have to double tap for web browsing. It worked pretty well though.

But I'd love an app like I used to have years ago for my pocketpc. There was an app where if my pocketpc was cradled to the computer, you could basically just move the mouse off the screen. Like if you moved the mouse to the far edges of the screen it would disappear and reappear on the pocketpc screen. Then you would just move it off the pocketpc screen and it would pop back on the desktop. So you could control the pocketpc easily without ever giving up mouse control. It was a sweet app and I would love the ability to do that on the iPad. Apple would have to allow server apps on the iPad itself though.

13. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Yep :eek:

14. macrumors G3

Your computer has a pointer, the iPad doesn't.

15. macrumors 601

eawmp1

The user has a pointer...it's called an index finger.

While typing you have to move your hand from the keyboard to mouse. You will adapt to touching the screen. It's a different interface for a different OS. Adapt or die.

16. macrumors 6502a

The simulator only really works with single finger gestures, and any except for tapping (which directly maps to a click) is a pain. It can simulate two-finger gestures, but you can't specify where your second finger is placed (it's based on where your mouse, ie first finger, is) so it's very limited.

17. macrumors 6502a

The iPad is not a laptop and shouldn't be used like one.
    If you want a mouse you get a laptop.

18. macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm not sure that I get the reason for having a mouse with a tablet. Ir being a touch OS is really the whole point.

19. macrumors 6502a

I wish the iPad could just document my thoughts. Mice, keyboards and gestures are all out dated. Well except for the middle finger gesture - that one is useful.

20. macrumors G3

First of all, the user has multiple fingers for input, otherwise known as multitouch.

Secondly, assuming the iPad only registers a single input, the index finger, how do you plan on moving this input device with a mouse. There is no visible pointer to see while moving the mouse. Which is what the OP was referring to.

21. macrumors 68000

I've been thinking the same thing. Especially after seeing this picture:

[​IMG]

22. macrumors regular

jonutarr

:rolleyes: Damn I hate stupid fanboy comments like these, are you guys saying I should get a macbook instead cos there are thinks I need from an ipad that can't be done with a macbook

so do you want me to buy both?

not all of us can afford or even want every apple product made, I shouldn't have to spend another $1300 just so I can use a mouse with a portable device, If it can be done with a jailbroken apple should implement it

23. macrumors member

Agreed. It wouldn't kill Apple to make it an option. If there was no physical keyboard option, would people really still be saying "adapt or die"?

24. macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

BLASPHEMY! :apple: :) :apple:

25. macrumors regular

Nash Bridges

When computers evolve to the point where they interface solely using voice recognition there will be those who wish they could still use a touch screen!