I won $94,000 USD in a lottery scam

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bousozoku, Sep 29, 2005.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    This is great, I'm so thrilled. I don't know how I'm going to spend all my winnings. I have a cheque for $4689.64 and they happen to have a companion law firm to handle payment of your taxes. It's quite convenient.

EuroLotto Promotional Services
    Calle Mallorca 402
    2nd Floor, 08034
    Barcelona, Spain

I wonder if the FBI is interested in this kind of scam or if I should just talk to the state attorney general's office.
  2. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2002
    I can't tell if you're joking or being sarcastic or what. Is it a scam? Are you in the US? Do you really have a check for that amount? Plz advise.

Also, I am a broke college student with no college fund and a single-parent household supporting me. Buy me a cheap iBook! It would be your good deed! ;)
  3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    The site cannot be found...

And I have to say your post confused me too, sorry.

And I'm in the same situation as the above, poor college student! Buy me an iBook please! :D
  4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Buy a Kick ass Mac setup and a really nice car... or... do the smart thing, and invest it. :D
  5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I'd say a sweet Mac setup and pay off your house mortgage.
  6. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I get the post... looks like it's not just the Nigerians anymore....
  7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    forward it to Treasury Department or someone if you want, but there are so many millions of copies of cyber-scam emails, it'll just get tossed on a pile somewhere-- you're not going to get an investigation or even a reply :)

unless, you know, you're thinking of DOING it. in which case, i'd have to beat you with a pipewrench.
  8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Dear Mr., Mrs., or Ms. bousozoku,

Hello from your bank. We misplaced our records for your recent deposit of $94,000. Please click here and re-enter your name, address, account number, PIN number, online access password, social security number, credit card numbers from other banks, mother's maiden name, and where in the house you keep the silverware.

If you don't, your account will be canceled within 10 minutes.

Sincerely, Your Bank

P.S. We guarantee that this message is legitimate.
  9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    Pah, that's nothing... a couple of weeks ago I got an email telling me I'd won €750,000 in the Irish Lottery! Funny thing is, I can't recall ever entering it... ;)
  10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Dear Bank,

I don't have any silverware, just gold in my safe. Can I send you the key to my safe, or do I have to send you the safe aswell?

Kind regards,

Mr & Mrs. Bousozoku
    26 Garden Road
  11. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    For those who can't tell, it's a scam. I didn't win anything, but I have a cheque in hand that is like the keys to the kingdom. Fortunately for me, I don't have an i.d. worth stealing. They'd have to be the dumbest identity theft criminals on the planet to want to steal from me.

Don't fall for these scams. It's tempting to cash the cheque but you'll pay for it many times over.