Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
steelphantom said:
I just won a Macintosh Classic II on eBay for only 22 bucks! It looks to be in great condition. Here's the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-Class...858015854QQcategoryZ80075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I hope to receive it by the end of the week. This is my first old Mac; I just wanted to have something cool to mess around with. Anybody have any ideas on what I could do with it?

Nice I remeber having one of those when I was a youngin' ahaha there amazing little machines.

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Nice find... I used to play on these along time ago, mainly awesome vintage games. And, well... I have on but its a fish tank now :cool:

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
MacEffects said:
Nice find... I used to play on these along time ago, mainly awesome vintage games. And, well... I have on but its a fish tank now :cool:
You made it into a fishtank ?!?!?! thats insane... and a wicked Idea.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
uh, you mean you bought it for $22. you can always put linux on it and show how uber-1337 you are.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
MacEffects said:
I don't think I'll be turning my new Mac into an aquarium any time soon. :eek: What are some good games for System 7 that will run on my Classic?

jhu said:
uh, you mean you bought it for $22. you can always put linux on it and show how uber-1337 you are.
By "won" I mean I won the auction on eBay. As far as Linux goes, I think System 7 will suit me just fine for now. ;) I'm not quite that 1337... yet.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
that thing is so retro its awesome. I wonder if the internet will work on it?

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
bodeh6 said:
that thing is so retro its awesome. I wonder if the internet will work on it?

It has System 7.0.1. That included a TCP/IP control panel I think. The question is what kind of physical media to use. Old macs like that I think used a special converter to get ethernet in and out.

Not to mention figuring out what browser software to use. And solving the chicken-egg problem of how to download it.

Could be a fun (and expensive and frivolous) adventure...

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
yes, it should work on the internet, but very slowly! Once in a while i use my LC II online, and it takes like 3 minutes to load one page!

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
chasemac said:
Thats sweet!:)

Thanks! I think so too. :D

macEfan said:
yes, it should work on the internet, but very slowly! Once in a while i use my LC II online, and it takes like 3 minutes to load one page!

What exactly would I need (in terms of hardware) to get my Classic online? Also, are there any browsers for System 7 at all?

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
well, you would need an ethernet card for sure... if you don't feel like opening up the case, Asante used to make a SCSI-Ethernet adaptor... Once in a while you see them on e-bay....

As for a web browser...all you need is:

System 7.1 minimum--System 7.5 reccomended

and iCab:
http://www.icab.de/dl.php

iCab is a free vintage web browser for old computers

enjoy!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Classic II rather limited.

First, the C2 is rather limited. It has no internal expansion. If you want Ethernet, your only option is a SCSI-to-Ethernet converter. (Like an Asanté EN/SC.) But, those work great.

For web browsing, iCab is the best that's out there for 68k Macs, and really runs best on 7.5; but I have it sucessfully running on 7.1 (on a PowerBook 520c with WiFi, even!) Check out iCab's page on how to install it on 7.1 for more info. (7.1 will be much faster on the Classic II than 7.5.)

As for games? Check out The Macintosh Garden, a clearinghouse for old Mac abandonware.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Looks like I'll have to find a SCSI/Ethernet converter then. Would I be able to connect to a router using my Classic or would I have to go straight to my modem? This could be fun... :D

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
going through your router will work fine, as long as you have a spare port on it.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
That is a fine piece of art, I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

Unfortunately, I'd never be able to afford the shipping to New York on top of an offer, as well as the 240V issue. It's a pity I don't live in England anymore :(

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
forevermac.com said:
They've go to the the best compact mac made. Better than the SE/30, although I have to admit, that's the one everyone pays bucks for.

That's because the SE/30 has the same speed processor, same screen, internal expansion (including the possibility of a processor upgrade, Ethernet card, video card, and more,) and significantly higher memory ceiling. (128MB on the SE/30, 10MB on the Classic II.) Plus, the Classic II uses a 16-bit data bus instead of the SE/30's 32-bit; making it noticeably slower in most tasks, even with the same amount of memory.

The *ONLY* thing the C2 has over the SE/30 is native 32-bit cleanliness. (Which the SE/30 can achieve with Mode32 or similar; and with a RAM ceiling of 10MB, the 32-bitness isn't even all that important, since an SE/30 with Mode32 can access 128MB.)

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
MacMosher said:
I think we all do...
Ain't it the truth. I tried once. At one point in my 2-bedroom apartment, one room had my Sawtooth Mac, my wife's eMac, our Windows box, and then 2 LCIII's, a PowerMac 5500/225, a PowerMac 7600 w/a G3 upgrade, a B&W, a PowerBook 3400c, an iBook 600 (16 VRAM) and an Indigo iMac DV. It was a bit crowded.

Now it's the eMac, Sawtooth, Windows box, 1 LC III, the 5500/225, and the PowerBook 3400c. I have the iMac to a Mac-less friend, sold the B&W to someone on a swap list, am currently eBaying the iBook 600, and am keeping the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.