I won a Mac Classic!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by steelphantom, Jan 29, 2006.

1. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

2. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

3. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

4. MacMosher macrumors 6502

MacMosher

Nice I remeber having one of those when I was a youngin' ahaha there amazing little machines.

5. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Nice find... I used to play on these along time ago, mainly awesome vintage games. And, well... I have on but its a fish tank now :cool:

6. MacMosher macrumors 6502

MacMosher

You made it into a fishtank ?!?!?! thats insane... and a wicked Idea.

7. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

uh, you mean you bought it for $22. you can always put linux on it and show how uber-1337 you are.

8. steelphantom thread starter macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I don't think I'll be turning my new Mac into an aquarium any time soon. :eek: What are some good games for System 7 that will run on my Classic?

By "won" I mean I won the auction on eBay. As far as Linux goes, I think System 7 will suit me just fine for now. ;) I'm not quite that 1337... yet.

9. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

that thing is so retro its awesome. I wonder if the internet will work on it?

10. savar macrumors 68000

savar

It has System 7.0.1. That included a TCP/IP control panel I think. The question is what kind of physical media to use. Old macs like that I think used a special converter to get ethernet in and out.

Not to mention figuring out what browser software to use. And solving the chicken-egg problem of how to download it.

Could be a fun (and expensive and frivolous) adventure...

11. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

12. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    yes, it should work on the internet, but very slowly! Once in a while i use my LC II online, and it takes like 3 minutes to load one page!

13. steelphantom thread starter macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Thanks! I think so too. :D

What exactly would I need (in terms of hardware) to get my Classic online? Also, are there any browsers for System 7 at all?

14. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

well, you would need an ethernet card for sure... if you don't feel like opening up the case, Asante used to make a SCSI-Ethernet adaptor... Once in a while you see them on e-bay....

As for a web browser...all you need is:

System 7.1 minimum--System 7.5 reccomended

and iCab:
    http://www.icab.de/dl.php

iCab is a free vintage web browser for old computers

enjoy!

15. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Wow. 30MB eh? ;)

Teehee. Thats tiny. ^.^

Great catch though. :p

I wish I had room to keep every mac I came across. :(

16. MacMosher macrumors 6502

MacMosher

I think we all do...

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Classic II rather limited.

First, the C2 is rather limited. It has no internal expansion. If you want Ethernet, your only option is a SCSI-to-Ethernet converter. (Like an Asanté EN/SC.) But, those work great.

For web browsing, iCab is the best that's out there for 68k Macs, and really runs best on 7.5; but I have it sucessfully running on 7.1 (on a PowerBook 520c with WiFi, even!) Check out iCab's page on how to install it on 7.1 for more info. (7.1 will be much faster on the Classic II than 7.5.)

As for games? Check out The Macintosh Garden, a clearinghouse for old Mac abandonware.

18. steelphantom thread starter macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Looks like I'll have to find a SCSI/Ethernet converter then. Would I be able to connect to a router using my Classic or would I have to go straight to my modem? This could be fun... :D

19. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

going through your router will work fine, as long as you have a spare port on it.

20. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Ahh! I so want a Mac Classic fish tank. I'm not skilled enough to build my own, and I can't find any pre-made on ebay. :(

21. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

22. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

That is a fine piece of art, I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

Unfortunately, I'd never be able to afford the shipping to New York on top of an offer, as well as the 240V issue. It's a pity I don't live in England anymore :(

23. forevermac.com macrumors newbie

great

They've go to the the best compact mac made. Better than the SE/30, although I have to admit, that's the one everyone pays bucks for.

Rgds

rich

http://www.forevermac.com

24. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

That's because the SE/30 has the same speed processor, same screen, internal expansion (including the possibility of a processor upgrade, Ethernet card, video card, and more,) and significantly higher memory ceiling. (128MB on the SE/30, 10MB on the Classic II.) Plus, the Classic II uses a 16-bit data bus instead of the SE/30's 32-bit; making it noticeably slower in most tasks, even with the same amount of memory.

The *ONLY* thing the C2 has over the SE/30 is native 32-bit cleanliness. (Which the SE/30 can achieve with Mode32 or similar; and with a RAM ceiling of 10MB, the 32-bitness isn't even all that important, since an SE/30 with Mode32 can access 128MB.)

25. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Ain't it the truth. I tried once. At one point in my 2-bedroom apartment, one room had my Sawtooth Mac, my wife's eMac, our Windows box, and then 2 LCIII's, a PowerMac 5500/225, a PowerMac 7600 w/a G3 upgrade, a B&W, a PowerBook 3400c, an iBook 600 (16 VRAM) and an Indigo iMac DV. It was a bit crowded.

Now it's the eMac, Sawtooth, Windows box, 1 LC III, the 5500/225, and the PowerBook 3400c. I have the iMac to a Mac-less friend, sold the B&W to someone on a swap list, am currently eBaying the iBook 600, and am keeping the rest.