I won my economics class competition thanks to Apple :)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maestro55, Dec 3, 2005.

1. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Being a senior in high school means that I had to take a required economics class. Well part of the class is learning about how the stock market works, and so we did a stock market simulation game. The game lasts 90 days and the goal is to see who in 90 days can make the most money. You start out with $10,000 to invest, and then you can buy and sell from there. Each ecomonics class logged in and played the game, and when the game was about to start over Mr. Knight had everyone print out their balance. Well, I was in the lead by over $1200, with the Apple stock shooting up like it did.

Yeah, this isn't an important thread, but I thought it was cool. We got into a class discussion about Apple computers and how their stock has been going up like it has. It was fun, and now I get some bonus points on my final :)

2. iDONTdoWINDOWS macrumors member

Congrats. Makes me wish I really would have bought some real stock in Apple.

3. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Ha remember doing that last year. (except I was a fresh men in HS). I didnt do so hot becuase apple was having a semi-slow down in its growth.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

5. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

ah, I remember doing that a good 10 years ago in a personal finance class. I think I actually invested in Apple, too. Of course, they weren't doing as well then and I didn't win. *sigh* if only I just hung onto that. Maybe I can go back and talk to my teach now, eh? :)

6. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

We did the same thing in my economics class here in MI and I invested in apple (this was a couple years ago) and everyone thought I was crazy for doing it (they all invested in automotive companies, lol, morons). I had actually invested $600 real dollars around the same time and after the class was over apple's stock jumped and I made a lot for what I put in. But I didn't win my class's competition, the kid who invested in the taser company won.

7. maestro55 thread starter macrumors 68030

maestro55

Yes, if I really had money to invest, I think I would invest in Apple. I have only been watching them for the past few months, and I have noticed drops, but they seem to have some pretty good days. What I did in my game was bought like 100 shares of apple, and then when they went up I sold 50 shares. It was fun.