I won't have to pump gas! hahahahaha<breathe>hahahaha

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobber205, May 9, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Just thought you guys might want to know this: In New Jersey and Oregon it is illegal for a business to let you pump your own gas.

No kidding.

That means the first time I buy my own gas.... I won't have to even leave my car.

Aah. Oregon. What a state. (Oregon also lets people smoke marijuana, just not in public)

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

If businesses are gas companies, you are paying for full service prices. HAHAHAHAHAHA

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im moving to Oregon, I wonder if the Feds will be coming?

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Actually in PA, they don't pump it for you.. it's self-serve.. and the prices are about 10 to 20 cents HIGHER than in New Jersey, right over the river, where they DO pump it for you...

5. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I'd rather pump it myself it if means saving $5-$10. :eek:

6. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

Maybe I didn't make my self clear. What I meant is that if the gas companies must pump the gas for you, than you are paying for the full service price at the gas stations that offer both (where I am). So you don't have to pump the gas, but your paying 5 - 10¢ more per gallon.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The price difference is a tax thing.

Many states forced companies to pump your gas during the gas crisis so they would be trained and not waste it. Most states repealed these laws after the crisis was over. Supposedly there was some negotiation in NJ that allowed these "gas pumpers" to keep their jobs.

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Sadly, here in Oregon, Pot is NOT legal, indoors or otherwise (not that that stops all the hippies and students...). Just thought I'd clarify. And yes, here and in NJ (the state where I have all my "childhood" memories from. I'm 16 now but all of my tree-climbing-pond-swimming-snowball-fighting memories are from NJ) you can't pump your own gas. This is to create more jobs to bring down the unemployment rate and bolster the economy, not because people are lazy. Well. They ARE lazy, but thats not the point of the law...

Anyway, Oregon does kick ass. Well. Not necissarily OREGON, but Portland for sure. Little Beirut Representin.

9. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

i grew up in chicago and moved to oregon when i started highschool. oregon sucks so profoundly that i am having a difficult time relating it to something of equal filth. gas prices are higher b/c you dont pump your gas. and its illegal b/c oregon has the highest unemployment rate in the country. the job market is 20 years behind the time, and most of the ppl in the town i lived in were closed minded uber religious folk. there was a general feeling of disapointment from my parents when we first moved to oregon, simply b/c it became obvious that the majoritty of ppl were not the most educated sorts.

thankfully im at college in cal and have no plans to return to oregon in the future

10. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

and why did he say pot was legal in oregon? give me a break

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds nice- I living in the great state of PA must pump my own gas. :)

12. unfaded macrumors 6502

I really thought this was very common knowledge. And I really don't understand the pride in being a fatter, lazier American who can't even get out of their own car to do a simple task.

But more power to you.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That has absolutely nothing to do with it. You really should read the whole thread before posting an ignorant comment.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I hate people touching my car so I'm glad it's legal to pump my own gas in Missouri.

15. Frisco macrumors 68020

I am from NJ and when I drove to Virginia last Summer to see my brother I had to pump my own gas for the first time. I was clueless. I actually tried lifting my license plate up like years ago where the gas thingie was located. Or at least I am told.

I am so stupid!

But please New Jersians are not capable of pumping, well at least gas ;)

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I dunno ... I kind of like pumping my own gas. Gets me in and out more quickly and allows me to more easily control my budget.

But hey, if this makes you happy, bobber ... we all need the little things. ;)

[sigh]No, that's not innuendo ...[/sigh]

17. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

The first time I pumped gas I had to get the attendant to show me how it was done (the parents had forgotten to teach me that point during my driving training :)). I felt really silly.

The first time I drove in NJ I also didn't know the law so I actually pumped my own gas. Luckily there were no cops around so I didn't get taken in for breaking the law. :eek:

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good point- I feel the same way. Although, at times (when its freezing cold outside or raining) I would not mind having someone pump my gas for me. :)

Sorry, I should not laugh, but that is quite funny! :D :D

Well, if you never pumped your own gas before, I can understand why you might have needed some guidance. :)

Yikes, that would have sucked if you were caught! :eek:

19. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I LIVE IN NEW JERSEY!!!!!!! but when Im in PA, I pump my own gas...I actually prefer to do it myself! but dont get too...

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep...I grew up in New York and went to a college in Virginia with a ton of people from New Jersey. It was pretty comical seeing them try to figure out how to pump gas.

(It didn't help that the gas station closest to campus still had the old analog dial pumps...)

21. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I had UT plates at the time so I probably could have claimed ignorance and they would probably have actually believed me. Maybe that's why the attendant didn't say anything. :cool:

22. howard macrumors 68020

howard

wow my mind is definitely in the gutter

23. Frisco macrumors 68020

Pumping your own gas would never work in NJ, with all the "Soccer Moms" and all.

Even I was confused and dripped gasoline all over the side of my car.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Last summer, my dad and I did the same thing when we were driving to NYC. Didn't get caught, and no one said anything. If a cop catches you, if he sees you're from out of state, you can probably pull the "I had no idea" card and get away with it. Unless the cop is a true *******.

25. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds like you would have been okay even if you would have been caught.