I would apriciate any help/advice?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zerocool84, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Zerocool84 macrumors regular

Hi. Im new here. Im living in Norway.
    I will begin to study at the university in august 2006. Thats why I was thinking of getting me a laptop from apple. I had plans to buy the iBook G4, but since the intel iBook is coming soon, so maybe I should wait!
    I was considering to buy an 20'' cinema screen with the laptop so i can connect it when at home. Much better so sit in front a 20'' for working... I have heard that doing this is not so good... And I have been advised to buy an iMac and a iBook... So what you think guys? Whats the best deal for me?

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

If you can wait a couple of months, you should definitely wait to see what Apple comes up with to replace the iBook. It's almost certain that something will be released before summer.

The best deal for the money will probably be an iBook/MacBook and a Dell 20" screen.

3. Zerocool84 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i will wait... What are the chances that something new will come in juli/august?

Do you think that an iMac and iBook/MacBook will be too much? i feel that having an iMac and a iBook/Macbook is like alpha omega, if you know what i mean :)

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

What are you going to study? Do you need the computer for more than note taking and the occasional presentation?

If you need a lot of computer power (for graphics, video, informatics or even games), you'll get more power with an iMac and the cheapest possible MacBook, but the cheapest solution that still gives you a lot of screen space is the Macbook / Dell combo.

5. Zerocool84 thread starter macrumors regular

I will study "biotecnology"... so i dont think ill need a lot of computer power... so it will be for studies, internett and to listen music..

Yes maybe the cheapest solution would be Macbook / Dell combo, but i dont want anything to with dell ( bad experience from the past).. so it will be an 20'' cinema from apple... But some people its not a good choice to connect an iBook for exemple.. because of the screen resolution and that i would need a hack so that it work... So i dont know... Im totally new with mac...

6. trogdor! macrumors regular

Definatly wait for the intel ibooks. They should be out and shipping before august.

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yes, the iBook needed a hack to run an external monitor properly, and so did the old iMac, but the new iMac supports an external monitor without any hack, so chances are that the MacBook will too.

I understand that you prefer the Apple display over the Dell display. I do, too, even thought the Dell display is a little bit cheaper.

8. Zerocool84 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah ok... I think the best thing to do now is to wait patiently ;) I really really hope to see something new before august! cross my fingers... ;)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help guys.. I'll surely will come back for some more questions when new hardwares is officially out there..

I read a topic on www.appleinsider.com, when someone wrote:
    "
    From the FWIW department:
    A teacher colleague (a Windows switcher) just told me that while trying to buy a 1.83GHz MacBook Pro yesterday, with the $200 educator discount, she was persuaded by an Apple Store employee to hold off if she wanted to "save $500." Because "Apple's 30th anniversary is this weekend," to "expect a big announcement about it" over the weekend or early next week. She was told to hold off purchasing an Apple until next week, and that "everything would be Intel," and, "you didn't hear it from me!" I inferred from the conversation as she related it that 'everything' was in reference to the laptops.

Again, FWIW. I'll believe it when I see it!"

I really hope its true ;) hehe...

Thanks again!