I would buy .Mac if. . .

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Shrek, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Ok, many of us think that the $100 price tag for .Mac is a bit much and that it should be free. However, what would would justify, IYO, the cost of .Mac? What kind of innovation would it take to compel you to purchase .Mac for $100/year?

Post your ideas here and perhaps Apple will hear our cries! ;)

edit: What if Apple decided to throw in domain name registration, hosting and forwarding, your own unique e-mail address (you@yourname.com), cgi scripts, Java, XML, logs, killer website publishing software, and a superfast Cable/DSL broadband connection? Would you buy? :cool:

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

The only innovation that would lure me to .Mac is a lower pricetag. Even then I probably wouldn't use it. Why? I don't NEED it!

3. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I have successfully made the "switch" to another email host and no longer get any mail at my .Mac address.

Did I prefer my .Mac address to my new one? Well, yes and no. My .Mac address was my last-name.mac and my new one is my first-name.mac. Both are pretty easy for people to remember. And while the .Mac address might be a little "cuter," it's not cute enough to take my $100.

P.S. Apple, make me an offer for $49.99 and you might just have my biz.

4. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

In my opinion, I would never use the service besides the email. I would rather just buy the email portion rather than the others.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think we're all over the $129 for X.2 now ;) :)

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'd like to see

Something with online Gaming. Team up with GameRanger to offer a Mac Gaming Community.

This would promote Gaming on the Mac and should be fairly easy to accomplish.

7. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

I'd buy it now, but this is what I hope to see added to it later:

I would like to see .Mac enhanced applications, just like for .Net, but for the Mac only. These apps would be better than the ones you get with just using OS X. They would have more functionality and be more feature-rich. This gives you enhanced versions of apps like iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, iChat, iCal, iSync and so forth. Each app would be more intuitive, easier to use, and more innovative. But I would ALSO like to see some additional applications you can get with .Mac that you can't get with just OS X. And all the .Mac apps should work with OS 9, too, since they'd best be written in Java.

Wouldn't that make .Mac SOOOOO much more an ATTRACTIVE deal?!?! :D :D :D

That's my $0.02. ;)

8. MacSlut macrumors 6502

Re: I would buy .Mac if. . .

You're asking the wrong question. I .Mac does offer $100 in value, if you intend to eat the entire meal. It's like a $20 buffet. That might be a great deal, but not if all you want is a salad.

So Apple could up the storage space to a gig...still not worth any more to me. It's not the features...it's the $100 that I have a problem with. Perhaps if they allowed domain name registration, hosting and forwarding along with cgi scripts, logs, and a dial-in number it would be too hard to turn down. But now? I can get just the things I want for much less with my current ISP and domain registrar.

9. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

What if Apple contracted with Cable/DSL ISPs and gave it's .Mac customers a broadband connection for no extra charge? Then would you buy? :cool:

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm getting .Mac only because i was an iTools member and can get .Mac for $50. i'm sure i'll use iDisk, but i do hope that .Mac will get more features. web site hosting would be awesome!!:D:D

how about if they had an option to have hosting instead of iDisk? then it would definitely be worth it for me!!:D:D

11. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

right now im having trouble with my mail.mac account. i havent paid yet because im wondering if i will still have the problem when i pay. the problem is that i can recieve email from people but they cant get my email. anyone know how i can fix this???

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Okay i know this is not going to happen... but this is what it NEEDS! Not just webspace... .net is .net because there is a .net. .mac doesnt make any sense. Spending that $100 on .mac shuold get you a domain name that is something like, for example, www.apple.mac

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yep, it should come with web space and a proper .mac domain name. maybe eventually...

14. appleguy macrumors 6502

appleguy

My .Mac

Even though I got my .mac account for free (via Apple's Learn and Earn system) I only use the email side of things, I am thinking about the virex but just to use the idisk is slow as I am in New Zealand. I do have a ADSL but just the distance from the states... Any Other Kiwis and Australians find this slow. It is better since the .mac came into effect.

Also I don't really need the web-site hosting as I do have my own server (which handles email as well of course)
    The only other thing I might like is the IP Forwarding for people to don't have static IPs (eg like no-ip.com).

my $US0.01 worth after the exchange rate ($NZD0.02)