I would like the equivalent to this for a mac....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by InfoKill, Sep 26, 2005.

1. InfoKill macrumors newbie

Please.

Ok first let me explain something. Im trying to share a connection with my brother in the next room (PC) with myself (Mac G5) and he has a linksys router. My other friend has a linksys antena (link below) that works on my dell and picks up the signal from my brothers room just fine. When i plug it in to the mac though it wont do anything with the antena.
    Now i would like to know if there is something i can do to get the antena to run on the G5 or do i have to buy one for a Mac? and if so can you show me which?

Thanks a bunch to anyone that helps!

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...827517&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As far as I can tell (and I have one of those for an old PC), there are no Mac drivers for it.

All you need is an AirPort card and you'll be set.

3. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Not sure if your Mac G5 is an iMac or a PowerMac, but doesn't it come with an Airport card in it? If so that'd be the easiest way to get connected to your brother's wireless router. If not, then you can pick them up and install them pretty easily.

The Linksys device you've pointed out is just a USB WiFi adaptor - it's not an aerial. The equivilant Apple product is probably an
    Airport Express, though it's intentions are a bit different, so the cost is higher.

[On review, I think there is an external aerial for the PowerMacs, but I can't find a link at the mo']

4. mpw Guest

An Airport card will be e twice the price but will 'just work', and don't worry about fitting it if it was the USB 'plug & play' you were looking for 'cause it's easy.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Bingo - forgot to mention that. Yup, it's a whole 802.11b receiver that connects via USB, not just an antenna. However, it's more like an external AirPort card than an AirPort Express because it has nothing really in the way of setup - just some minor stuff.

6. InfoKill thread starter macrumors newbie

7. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Yeah that's the one, just plug the airport extreme card into the appropriate slot and everything will be fine. I image it is the antenna for the extreme card that you're talking about (the card has a small port on it to attach the antenna to, though if you have the antenna are you sure you don't also have a card?). Once you have that installed next time you start up you should get prompted to go through a setup procedure that the computer will walk you through how to connect to any WiFi signals that your computer can detect.

8. InfoKill thread starter macrumors newbie

you know, i never tried to put the antena in. i see there is a small hole for it on the back of my PM. reason i never tried it is because when i picked my G5 online i thought you had to pay extra for the card. My G5 did come with the antena and i see a hole in the back, first starting from the top, i guess i should try and see if it works. :confused:

9. InfoKill thread starter macrumors newbie

just tried it and nothing happend. :(
    it does have a port in the back for it, but i guess it connects to nothing.
    looks like i have to buy that card. anyone know where i can get it cheap?
    i see it for around 80.
    Thanks ALOT for all the help everyone! :)

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

$80 is about as cheap as you'll find it.

11. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece