Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
just finished setting up TOR behind a router. (hopefully properly...) but i've also hear heard of the i2p network. has anyone used it?

web browsing with TOR is really slow but it can be turned on/off via a button with a firefox plugin. Since Tor network is just starting out, i thought i'd advertise a little bit so it can gain some popularity and get bigger.

SO FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW:
its basically a way to make anonymous connections which is especially usefull if you use bit torrent clients or apps like frostwire.you know, in case you accidentally download copyrighted material. For more info go here:

Got Root [if you download onion router it install all the packaging for you including privoxy]
http://www.i2p.net/intro

FOR THOSE IN THA KNOW:
post your experiences, preferences, debates, pros cons, and most importantly SPEED!
one pro to i2p is that there's an azureus plugin for it which i found of course after i stumbled around trying to setup azureus for tor/privoxy

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Well, the default TOR configuration allows you to connect with other TOR servers. Making your computer a TOR server requires a few extra steps, so this imbalance between servers and clients is what makes it so slow to browse etc.

Have you tried setting up a Locations preference so there's no need to enable a plug-in?

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Have you tried setting up a Locations preference so there's no need to enable a plug-in?

Thas actually a pretty good idea for those who not want a plugin or don't use firefox

Haven't personally done it becuase me have no real need to do anonymous webbrowsing so its just turned off via a little button on the status bar. after that my speeds returned to normal on tha browser. but if for some reason i need to i just hit tha button. (can't recall now if me had to choose tha manual proxy setting too, but it saves tha info when its not selected so its no big deal)

its really great for bit torrent'ing tho. why take any chances

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I have Tor set up through firefox for browsing (it is recomended for those who regularly vist indymedia), but it is VERY slow. I didn't know you could set it up for use with torrents...

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
you can if you use azureus or utorrent. damn me wish they made utorrent for mac already. its absolutely tha ballz! anyway there's some info out there for configuring other clients for use with tha network. if you need help finding it just post back here with what client you use n let me know

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
this doesn't seem to be a very popular thread at all. are people just not aware of this technology?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.