IAEA says US House report on Iran's Nuclear program "outrageous"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Black&Tan, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5346524.stm

Edit: Ooops! I see I was beaten to it. :eek:

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Send Colin Powell, Henry Kissinger, or George Mitchell. Or someone, please don't send Condy to negotiate anything.

4. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

If it doesn't work the first time keep trying.

5. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Its interesting that Colin is in the news again, this time fighting against what the Bush administration wants....

"Powell said that Bush's bill, by redefining the kind of treatment the Geneva Conventions allow, "would add to those doubts. Furthermore, it would put our own troops at risk."

Firing back, White House spokesman Tony Snow said Powell was confused about the White House plan. Later, Snow said he probably shouldn't have used that word.

"I know that Colin Powell wants to beat the terrorists too," he said.

...and then Condi fires back....

Countering Powell's letter, the administration produced one from the current secretary of state to Warner. In it, Condoleezza Rice wrote that narrowing the standards for detainee treatment as Bush has proposed "would add meaningful definition and clarification to vague terms in the treaties."

Priceless! Anyway, I'm pleased to see that the BBC is featuring the IAEA report as a front page item even if Yahoo and CNN aren't reating it as major news.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14838090/

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Colin Powell has enormous political potential. Pure opinion of course, but he would be one of the better candidates out there.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I had the opportunity to speak with Colin Powell's assistant at his home in Mclean
    after he resigned from the Bush administration.

It was clear that he was furious about the way they used him to promote the war in Iraq on deceptive intelligence.

He was doing all he could to distance himself from those PNAC creeps.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't blame him for not wanting us to make the same mistake again. Fool him once, shame on him. Fool him twice... can't get fooled again.

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Powell's letter to congress has clearly shaken Bush's nerves.

I heard his response today and it seems like them's fightin words.

I would sure love to hear the archive tapes of what we're not hearing said between them.

11. toontra macrumors 6502

I have no time for Powell. His "presentation" to the UN in 2003 was a pile of c**p, and I'm sure he knew as much (or at the very least strongly suspected). It really is a bit late in the day for him to change horses and expect not to be accused of self-interested political motives. He had his opportunity in history to make a difference and he blew it.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I doubt it. He was told by the President to to out and present evidence. You can't say no, wouldn't that be treasonous?

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Surely it would be treasonous to mislead your country into war?

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

In George's mind I'm sure it would have been, but to the rest of the world a resignation by Powell would have made all the difference in whether we went into this disastrous war or not. Powell might be the best of the possible GOP candidates, but, imho, he can't win the GOP nomination because of his criticisms of the war after he left office, and he can't win the general election because he lied in his support of the war while in office.

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'll reserve judgement on Powell once I see how this plays out.

At least he has the guts to admit he was wrong.

He certainly doesn't need the money or the aggravation of running for office.

My gut feeling tells me that his conscience is telling him to right a terrible wrong
    any way he can.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He'll also be over 70 years old by the next national election. I'm guessing he's thinking more about his memoirs than national politics at this point in his life.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Not on Powell's part. It's Bush who has the final say on things. So if you are to charge someone with treason, call out Bush.
    I understand, people will put the case that he's soft on terror or some BS like that. The thing is, Powell would be a huge improvement for the GOP. They just don't realize it.

18. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

While I agree Powell would be a huge improvement for the GOP, the problem we now face is the rest of the world. This administration, and all of its officials, have poisoned the world against us. If we want to make real progress and address the wrongs that have been done, we need all new leadership.

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba